Discuss 3 phase compressor DOL wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello. I bought an old three phase compressor but it has come without a starter switch. Just five cables, two for the pressure switch and three for the three phases.

I have a DOL starter switch, but I don't know how to wire it to make the compressor come on and off with the pressure switch. Obviously my phases gonon T1, T2 and T3. But the pressure switch, where would that go to make the compressor automatically start and stop as it goes open and closed circuit? I have a wiring diagram I was supplied with but wanted to ask real professionals before jumping in.

Thanks in advance

Screenshot_20210804-191113.png

16281476882045665101203718150598.jpg

Remove the existing red wires, then wire it exactly as the diagram, it will start and stop according to the pressure.

The start/stop on the starter will no longer work, so you must add an isolator rated for the full motor rating ahead of the starter to isolate it.

There are ways to add an emergency stop button, but to do it properly you need a second contactor so it locks out.

Just here? Unlabelled terminals at the bottom?

Really appreciate the help. I'm glad I didn't jump in, I'd assumed the pressure switch went between 96 and 14.

Thanks again. I have an isolator switch, an EM stop will be fitted too.

Shame it can't be made to work with both the buttons and the pressure switch. Oh well!

16281503513961165502565794892563.jpg

The point being that the contactor either has to latch the state of the buttons (i.e. whether the start or stop button was the most recently pressed) or follow the position of the pressure switch. One contactor can't do both.

If the unit requires an unloading valve and the valve is built into the pressure switch, and the pressure switch has a manual control, then you should preferably start and stop the unit with the pressure switch manual control. Otherwise if you stop the motor using a separate manual switch or button while running, the unloading valve won't operate and depending on how good the N/R valves are it might take a while before it can be restarted without stalling the motor.

Reply to 3 phase compressor DOL wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net