Discuss 3 phase contactor not dropping out in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Darrenc60

Hi folks here goes im replacing a contactor on a 3 phase sheet metal bending machine the old 1 is obsolite an was gave 1 that would do the same job the old 1 had termanals 33 an 34 new 1 dosent 33 had a red going in and a link to A2. i put the red into A2 and a link to 13 an its energising bet cant get it to drop out when i push stop botton i am also left with a red that was in 34 constant 230v on it any help would be great thanks

Tony's your man to seek as he will have a catalogue of diagrams to help you, what does worry me is your changing parts without understanding basic control wiring, this isn't an area you should be meddling with IMHO unless you are competent as you may inadvertantly alter the safety of the machine without knowing you have by just mixing the wiring up.

All safty cut outs are working fine there controled by 2 other contactors the 1 im changing is the lift arm it only has 1 cut out on it but the guy works on his own an unbolted it years ago as it stoped him doing some sort of bend so its hinging lose not doing anything im just not 100 % as its been about 12 years since i last worked with them an i was an apprentice at the time the thing works perfect just stop botton not swiching it off

go to basics. the stop button should kill the supply to the coil.

Contactors are basic you just need to get the rating correct, the coil voltage and a.c./d.c. correct and if required the N/O and N/C aux contacts and/or utilising the 4th pole as a retaining contact.
Different manufacturers have terminals in different positions or even numbered different but in most cases (not all) they have the same function.
As i said il leave this to Tony to dig a pic out for you as its what he lives for on here and you'll it will bring a little smile to his weekend ;)

Before you do anything, get the limit reinstated. If they remove it afterwards it’s up to them. You must leave the machine in a safe condition.
This shows a basic starter, any control will be in series with the stop button.

3 phase contactor not dropping out {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited by a moderator:
The diagrams all make sence bt am trying to do it from old conections as to open the machine up to see whats what for my switches is a major operation i have to un bolt the side which is agenst a wall so would have to move it an its a made from cast an steel its a beast what is connections 33 & 34 cheers

so would you call that accessible for maintenance?

The diagrams all make sence bt am trying to do it from old conections as to open the machine up to see whats what for my switches is a major operation i have to un bolt the side which is agenst a wall so would have to move it an its a made from cast an steel its a beast what is connections 33 & 34 cheers

For god's sake, look at Tony's diagram for the On/Off control circuit, .....It's not rocket science is it!!

Ahhhh..........memories from my college days come flooding back.

Night classes at 18yr old doing control circuits and starting fore shift at 11 ffs...............I probs would have had more chance of launching a rocket in them days for the interest I showed lol

As Tel has just expressed .. your machine should be so sited and positioned to allow for testing, replacement and maintenance ... it sounds like this is not the case and shouldn't be used as an excuse for not leaving the machine safe, disconnection or removal of some limit switches or other control devices or even faulty existing may not alter the running function of the machine but maybe vital for safety when things go 'pete tong'... as you are the last to make alterations or replace faulty parts its your responsibility to ensure the machine is fully functional and safe to use ..... a knowledge of the operation of the machine and the control system is needed as well as knowledge of the relevant safety standards is IMHO a minimum to achieve this.

You may be just replacing a contactor but this drops the responsibility on your shoulders....

Said in the purest glaswegian accent :)
Wonder how many could read that? or was it just me lol

come back to reality an stop talking to folk as if there stupit ! Muppet

The only muppet here is yourself, if you can't work out how to connect up a a straight contactor. Your only replacing an existing contactor at that!!!

Read post #5 again, there is nothing complicated, you just need to know and understand what connection points are what, on the contactor your working with!!

I know how contactors work aw a want tae no is wit 33 & 34 are

So you can't even work that out for yourself, but you know how a contactor works!! Anyway, i doubt if you'll get any further help from here, with that attitude!! So i'll take your advice and *** off and leave you to it!!!

Yet another 5 week wonder, masquerading as an electrician!!

I doubt you'll have any choice in that matter!! lol!! ....Byeeeeeeeeeeee!!

Lets make this clear Darren60 .... you asked a question and we helped you best we can we supplied a wiring plan for a standard start/stop contactor, regardless of the numbers on your contactor the wiring plan we supplied should give you your answers, cursing whether written or suggestive is not allowed and will see you taking the high road to a ban if you persist, the control system of a machine is out of the scope of the 17th and to be working on it without relevant qualifications will only open a big deep hole for yourself... the question you asked is as almost as basic as they come when discussing control circuits and asking such a question shows us straight away your getting involved in work you dont hold the relevant qualifications or competence to ensure what you do is safe to use.

We make a judgement call on whether to help you or advice your out of your depth, in the case of your contactor swap we have made it clear how to wire up a contactor as well as also mentioning the responsibilities that come with working on control systems...

The correct way about this would have been for you to explain to the customer that you are not an Electrical Engineer and the work falls outside of the reg' you were taught under.... yes simple as it is you ae hopefully replacing like for like but you need to understand the machine and control system to know you are not replacing a part on a dangerous set-up.... also knowledge of why the existing contactor has failed and whether the original one was specified correctly for the job in hand.

Working parrot fashion by just swapping like for like can be a risky game in machine control so as constructive advice i would suggest you keep well away until you get yourself educated..... and trust me if you ever do you will begin to appreciate the advice and warning we are putting across on this thread .....

Reply to 3 phase contactor not dropping out in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock