Discuss 3 phase db converted to single phase with 10mm earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

daveelectrician

Hi.Today during my job at a police station, took cover off brand new KQ 3 phase SquareD db (recent db change by different firm) to connect my new ring to one of the ways and found that the 3 phase db had been converted to single phase. 25mm double insulated tails live and neutral, L1, L2 and L3 linked out using some 10mm earth cable. To me i would say that is a c1 fault, so refused to make my circuit live until c1 was rectified. What is everyones opinion on this and does anyone know if there is a linking kit available from schneider.

If all 3 phases are connected together and to the line side of the incommer, surely that means 415v for the whole system?!

I'm not an expert in 3 phase, but that just sounds plain wrong (and that's before we get to using 10mm earth as a line conductor!)

Have you been in touch with Schneider?

It's not unusual to convert a board like this. One danger is the neutral rail being overloaded.

If all 3 phases are connected together and to the line side of the incommer, surely that means 415v for the whole system?!

I'm not an expert in 3 phase, but that just sounds plain wrong (and that's before we get to using 10mm earth as a line conductor!)

How do you work that out?

Single phase conversion kits are available when using a 3p DB with a 1p supply.

Linking out using 10mm is dog rough but not a C1 imo.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using Tapatalk 2

No I think the Op means that it's a three dis board fed by a single phase and neutral...no?

No I think the Op means that it's a three dis board fed by a single phase and neutral...no?

Oh, ok, that makes more sense... It sounded like he was talking about a single phase board being fed by all 3 phases!

My bad!

:blush5:

I really shouldn't use this forum after beer...

Deleted (cos I was being stupid!)

This is true, but it sounds like a 3ph dis board which has been converted to single phase.

The supply to it will be single phase line, neutral all that's been changed in the board is the 3 bus bars internal to the db have been linked together, albeit roughly.

100amp BS88 2X 25mm (live/neutral) tails into 4 pole tpn 60947-3. 25mm live in L1 terminal, linked to L2+ L3 with 10mm earth cable. 8 way tp board 1 tp way spare.

When fitting, make sure to fit as per picture on link. They come with no instructions.
I fitted one last weekend, as I had a similar issue that was a defect on EICR. Mine was slightly worse, as they were linked with 6mm2 singles.

I have seen these linking kits installed under the main switch, which is not a good idea as you have a nice shiny piece of live metal when cover is removed.

The linking kit sits nicely on existing bus bars, and the main switch then holds it in place.

Reply to 3 phase db converted to single phase with 10mm earth in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock