Discuss 3 phase dol starter help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

albathebrave

Hi, hope someone can help with this, i just bought a new dol starter from my air compressor its a 16 amp starter just need to know what colour wires go where? it has three top connections l1, l2, l3, three lower for supply t1, t2, t3 with a separate pe for yellow/green i take it, so the wires i have left on both supply and to 3 phase motor are brown, blue and red. please help needing to finish a job and cant get an expert out for 2 days!

L1, L2, L3 are yor supply. T1,T2,T3 are the load. as long as you connect supply to L's and load to T's. if the motor runs the wrong way, reverse any 2 leads on the load side. ( if tou look closely at the cables i think the brown is actually yellow. so its red to L1, yellow to L2. blue to L3.

Supply should be L1 L2 and L3 the load should be T1 T2 and T3

Your supply 3 phase should be Brown L1 Black L2 and Grey L3 if the, does your compressor have a phase failure relay attached for safety?

Most modern compressors for refrigeration and air will have this as it will ensure the motor will not run in reverse.

Sorry got the load and supply wrong way round your right, but i only have a brown blue and red wire coming from both supply and load. my old starter was like this l1 = brown l2 = blue l3 = red and same colours going in at the other end. Thanks for your rapid reply by the way.

Its an old compressor (1999) its why it has the old uk colours of brown, blue and yellow/green the red was a wire on its own connecting l3 and t3 together

I may has confused a few people am i right in thinking i really have a single phase with a protecter on the wall? arghhh sorry probs why i have different colour wires! so would this just wire up s my old starter?

Supply should be L1 L2 and L3 the load should be T1 T2 and T3

Your supply 3 phase should be Brown L1 Black L2 and Grey L3 if the, does your compressor have a phase failure relay attached for safety?

Most modern compressors for refrigeration and air will have this as it will ensure the motor will not run in reverse.

Should this not be "will ensure the motor will not run on two phases ?

sounds like he's got a single phase motor, now he says L3 is linked to T3!!!!

when wiring 1ph dol starters, often the extra poles on the contactor are used by looping the live from the t1 to l2, and you then take your live from t2 and yoyur neautral goes through l3, and t3

There might be extraneous wiring as well for off-loader valve etc. Maybe a photo or two would be good.

Reply to 3 phase dol starter help in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net