Discuss 3 phase motor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Guybrows

I wired a 3 phase motor for a hydraulic pump up today. Its a 3kw motor. My boss told me to wire it as a Direct online in Delta. I thought maybe it would be better as a Star Delta as the pump would be dry and it may cause high start up current. I belief that a small motor is fine as a DOL. When i turned it on the motor kicked out a load of smoke and the cable started to overheat. The fuse was faulty and didn't trip. I tested mega tested the winding and they were down to 0.02 ohms. Something not right. The supplier says they have never had a faulty motor but I cant work out why a 3kw motor would draw enough current to blow the windings. I am now going to wire the new motor it in star delta just in case but thought I would see if anyone had any ideas on how a motor could blow like this.

Cheers

Guy

It depends on the motor spec how it is wired, and why should a hydraulic pump start up dry, if it does then you have bigger fish to fry than star or delta motor connections for DOL or even star/delta starting, because none of these will fix your problems.

.....the motor kicked out a load of smoke and the cable started to overheat....I tested mega tested the winding and they were down to 0.02 ohms. Something not right..
This could be the understatement of the day :)

It would cause winding damage if you incorrectly wired it or if it was locked rotor or if there was a phase missing. You wouldn't normally protect a small motor like this one with fuses, there should have been a manual motor starter or a thermal overload in the circuit.

Running a 3kW motor DOL is fine unless it's a special application that requires particularly high starting torque.

This motor can run in star or delta and it was wired correctly with links in the correct place for delta. Phase rotation was correct.

I've never seen a 3hp motor run off a star delta starter (possible though).
The motor would be fine in delta if the supply was 230V 3 phase, not 400V.

The motor should be wired as stated on the plate. Hydraulic pumps have to be primed and bled before powering up.

Three HP is a tiny motor and should be fine for DOL, so long as it’s connected as stated on the maker’s plate.

Reply to 3 phase motor in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock