Discuss 3 phase plug..... in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rookeryu67

....wired as single phase, but with L3 used for neutral. I know this is poor practice, but is it actually dangerous? Whole wing of the large facility I work in is so wired "to prevent non_inducted personnel using these service plugs." I did not like, and just used my battery drill.

is it dangerous!.... This is a very dangerous practice, its open to accidently feeding 400v into equipment designed for 230v whether it be on this site or another, it would most likely damage equipement and carries high risk of fire as well as potential of shock. Their is no excuse for such practices and those responsible should be shown the door!
You can have 230v socket outlets with a T- earth pin set up so standard plugs dont fit or use blue 230v 3pin commando style plug and sockets so why has this been done i cant fathom but should be addressed immediately.

....wired as single phase, but with L3 used for neutral. I know this is poor practice, but is it actually dangerous? Whole wing of the large facility I work in is so wired "to prevent non_inducted personnel using these service plugs." I did not like, and just used my battery drill.

Not only is it dangerous I would say you are a total incompetent idiot and should not be let loose anywhere near electrics:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

Last edited:
Is there actually 415v available on the socket outlet, except on non standard pins? Or have they just decided to be awkward and use a common plug for a very uncommon task? Would there every be a need for 3 phase to be used from these service outlets?

Is there actually 415v available on the socket outlet, except on non standard pins? Or have they just decided to be awkward and use a common plug for a very uncommon task? Would there every be a need for 3 phase to be used from these service outlets?

Regardless of this answer it still dosnt change the severity of the actions that led to this system it only takes a machine, item, device to be moved, sold etc and you've got the potential of a (worse case) fatality as they may use the indications of voltage etc on the plug as a guide to the supply required, many machine i come across are lacking spec' plates or instructions.

Not only is it dangerous I would say you are a total incompetent idiot and should not be let loose anywhere near electrics:censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:

Ian, calm down.
The OP hasn't installed this, they've just gone to work somewhere where this system is in place.
I must admit, if I had to design such a system, I'd use 5 pin plugs and sockets, which would then allow 3 phase, TP&N and single phase items of equipment to be connected, and would then allow that equipment to be used elswhere without danger.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand a company wanting to manage electrical equipment connected to their network. I’ve worked for several companies that had this policy. We used a non standard plug so that if you wanted to use a piece of you own equipment it had to come to the electrical department to be checked and one of our plugs fitted.

Reply to 3 phase plug..... in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net