Discuss 3 Phase Power Capabilities in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Nix

Hi Guys,

Im helping organise a Computer Event at a specific venue and we were wondering whats the best way of finding out the power capabilities of the facility.

Sadly all i know is that its a 3 Phase system that powers a 2 storey building (we rent out the top floor). Weve used it before and been able to run 18 Full PC's with no signs of trouble, but we are a bit worried of boosting that upto around 25-30, due to the power.

Is there any easy way of finding out what the power capabilities of the venue or will you need more information to help me on this one? If so what questions should we be asking the venues owners?

We are budgeting 1000W per person so with 25-30 people that will be 25kw-30kw tops.
Ive been told there are around 10 plug sockets of the same ring circuit at 32amps.

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
how many ring /radial circuits serve the area where the venue is ?what size are the circuit protective devices ?
how many amperes do each computer use?

watts =volts x amps (sorry for the basic physics)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget that if there are RCD's fitted to the circuit to many computers on circuit could cause RCD to trip due to the leakage current from PSU filter circuit.

Even though it may be a 30mA RCD it can trip at any current below this so if you have the facility on your tester carry out a ramp test to find out at what actual current the RCD trips.

Reply to 3 Phase Power Capabilities in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net