Discuss 3-Phase question - industrial unit in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Alex C2

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

Hoping someone knowledgeable can give me an idiots guide to power for an industrial unit we are leasing. Please bear in mind I have close to zero electrical knowledge.

We need 3-Phase power 400V connections for around 6 drilling systems we run on an intermittent basis, no more than 2 running at the same time. The small systems can draw 32A at peak but for a few seconds max, the air compressor is a 11Kw motor and runs intermittently to keep up the pressure in a small run of pipe work, obviously more often when pneumatic hand tools are running. The premises when I viewed it initially had around 8 400V plug sockets dotted around the periphery - ideal. They were however removed on the completion of the unit re-furb, and we need to put some back in on the fit-out.

When I enquired with the distribution co. about the incoming supply, I was told it was "60Kva 3-Phase, 20Kva per phase". The electrician we have on the fit-out works states that this is way too low "86A to site, 28A per phase" and cant be right for a 6500SQ ft industrial building. It is a worry for me as we expected based on what was there previously to have sufficient supply, I could only get information form the ElecNW after becoming the lease holder.

I have very little understanding of electrics unfortunately, so i'm not sure why the figure stated seems to be perceived as too low, and also if it is realistically too low for our needs.

Anyone who can give an opinion and help me calculate if we have a problem is most welcome!

His sums are wrong. 20Kva is 20,000. Divide that by 230v single phase and you get the 86A but that’s PER PHASE.
If you can see the incoming cable head, there will be 3 supply fuses. These will have a rating on a sticker somewhere. Generally 63A, 80A or 100. Could be as much as 200 for an industrial unit. Again that’ll be per phase.

I'm based in Cheshire. can sort it all out for you. and that "electrician" is talkingout of his arse, 20kVA per phase is 86A per phase. should be plenty for what you want.
[automerge]1569580056[/automerge]
arrrghh. beaten by a Jock.i'll never live it down. serves me right for putting 40 alloy wheels on ebay.

Reply to 3-Phase question - industrial unit in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net