Discuss 3 phase SPD MCB size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

newfutile

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Does anyone know what size cable to use for a MCG type 2 SPD (3 phase) and what MCB.the manufacturers instructions don’t state any values!

also should i use 3 x single phase or a 3 phase MCB?

If it is anything like this one then 32-63A MCB:
There might be some figured in the new regs on SPD cable sizes but I don't have copies of any with me. I would probably look at 10mm as a typical value to go with.

Generally for good SPD performance you want minimum inductance, so C or D curve MCB if you can get them as well as short cables and cables all close together to keep loop area down.

Some of the smaller ones say 16-32A MCB so maybe 32A D-curve is a choice for all. I would go 3P as if you want to isolate for test you would want all poles off!

That’s the exact one but in a metal enclosure, it seems a bit vague on sizes. I will see if i can get 5 x 10mm cables though the bushing, it will be installed touching the top of the 3PH DB with cables just long enough to connect .
thanks for the advice.

Just looked at 534.4.10 which has the CPC minimum size as 6mm for type 2, or 16mm for type 1 SPDs.

For the live conductor it has to be rated at prospective fault current (so I guess adiabatic for protection MCB) and also minimum of 6mm for type 1 and 2.5mm for type 2 SPD.

So in your case if you have 6mm cable then probably that will do all and neatly as data sheet shows it is OK.

Reply to 3 phase SPD MCB size in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Now that SPD's must be fitted regardless, how does this stand from a sub-main perspective? Went to look at a job and they want a supply to a pre...
Replies
Views
Hi fellow sparks, I've just started out on my own so I'm spending a lot of my time trying to find out the correct way of doing things of...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Grateful for your expertise regarding my confusion on the below. Context: French rural domestic property Single phase supply, TT...
Replies
Views
Good morning, So I’m working on an existing 3 phase solar system and the customer wants a way to use the huge mass of exported solar on their...
Replies
Views
Does this matter? I've fitted a Fusebox consumer unit and I didn't have enough 32A MCB's but too many 6A's. The SPD is fed from a 32A one, what's...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock