Discuss 3 phase supply, advice required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

lurch

-
Reaction score
Some advice please. . . I have a local community centre (old prefab) that has a 3 phase TNS supply from the local DNO. I have carried out a EICR which has unsatisfactory on various points, however I am trying to locate the regulation that covers isolation. . . . the scenario is 3 phases in to 3 phase meter, and then 3 separate single phase domestic Consumer units, all located within a cupboard.

My concern is that there is no single point of isolation on the 3 phase supply. I want to give this a C2 but not having come across this scenario before and want to know the regulation that covers this . . . if there is one. Or is it totally acceptable to have this setup as it is. . . . constructive answers always welcome.

Some advice please. . . I have a local community centre (old prefab) that has a 3 phase TNS supply from the local DNO. I have carried out a EICR which has unsatisfactory on various points, however I am trying to locate the regulation that covers isolation. . . . the scenario is 3 phases in to 3 phase meter, and then 3 separate single phase domestic Consumer units, all located within a cupboard.

My concern is that there is no single point of isolation on the 3 phase supply. I want to give this a C2 but not having come across this scenario before and want to know the regulation that covers this . . . if there is one. Or is it totally acceptable to have this setup as it is. . . . constructive answers always welcome.
You have 3 points of isolation 1 on each Consumers Unit.

agreed. . . but Ive always had it drummed into me from way back that there should be a single point of isolation in the event of an emergency
You would be extremely unlucky to have an emergency on all SP&N CUs at once Lurch, think the isolation matter is covered. Remember it may be a 3 phase supply, but all you have is 3 SP&N Systems

Last edited:

If it was my job, i would fit a 4 pole 100a isolator, much the same as your electrical utilities supplier would fit. Not expensive, and sorts out the "one point of isolation" reg. Hope this helps.

You would be extremely unlucky to have an emergency on all SP&N CUs at once Lurch, think the isolation matter is covered. Remember it may be a 3 phase supply, but all you have is 3 SP&N Systems
agreed. . . but all it takes is for joe public to look in cupboard and isolate wrong board. . . I like to make life simple for 'em. Furthermore, if boards were sited in 3 separate locations I get it, but if I were to do this job from scratch it would be a TPN bioard end of . . . . but that's not the case.

If it was my job, i would fit a 4 pole 100a isolator, much the same as your electrical utilities supplier would fit. Not expensive, and sorts out the "one point of isolation" reg. Hope this helps.
Not a bad idea Steve, but if you relyon the Isolator you mention as the single point of isolation, problem occurs in one particular SP system, then you would isolate all three CUs. Just a thought.

Hi Pete, I don't think it makes any difference whether its a 3 phase supply or a single phase!
A local plumber in Prestwich,Manchester turned off the consumer unit, because he was going to change the shower. What he didn't spot was a Wylex 104 in the corner of the mains cupboard. Consequently, the world is one plumber less.

Hi Pete, I don't think it makes any difference whether its a 3 phase supply or a single phase!
A local plumber in Prestwich,Manchester turned off the comsumer unit, because he was going to change the shower. What he didn't spot was a Wylex 104 in the corner of the mains cupboard. Consequently, the world is one pluber less.
Could happen anywhere switching off the wrong Mains Switch, just an important question, was the Plumber trained in the Safe Isolation Procedure? seems not in this
instance.

A local plumber in Prestwich,Manchester turned off the consumer unit, because he was going to change the shower. What he didn't spot was a Wylex 104 in the corner of the mains cupboard. Consequently, the world is one plumber less.
this highlights the point I am making. . . if there was a single point of isolation then this wouldn't of happened. we are obsessed in this country on cutting into meter tails and hooking in additional cu's .

As Pete mentioned he obviously didn’t follow the correct procedures, a simple voltage tester would of saved him yet he got complacent.

As Pete mentioned he obviously didn’t follow the correct procedures, a simple voltage tester would of saved him yet he got complacent.

Reply to 3 phase supply, advice required in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net