Discuss 3 Phase Supply, Need A Seperate Earth in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

KNIPEX

Hi guys im after a bit of help please.

if im running a 4core 25mm armoured to a three phase distboard do i need a seperate earth to go with it or can i use the armourings???

i thought you had to run a seperate earth half the size of the cable so a 16mm earth.

all cable calcs say u need a seperate earth so im confused

is there any regs on this please???

thanks in advance.

no replies :(

Last edited by a moderator:
i usually do ,but just done a large job of 10 db,s swa as earth (client spec)so no help here:confused:

section543.2 gives "types of protective conductors,have a read ,post your thoughts

further to my last post ,our technical dept just did a calc for me ,turns out it needed an earth cable due to length
i would suggest further you have a look at the whole of chapter 54 if you want to rely on the swa as a cpc

further to my last post ,our technical dept just did a calc for me ,turns out it needed an earth cable due to length
i would suggest further you have a look at the whole of chapter 54 if you want to rely on the swa as a cpc

Wayne do you have a different posting as I can not see any mention of the length of the cable run.:confused:

Maybe he meant size?

Anyway, **** that. I answered a question right!!!

ian ,
this thread doesnt mention cable run ,i was posting about a cable i was sizing up,sorry if i confused you
what the tech dept probably found out was the r1+r2values were too high and the easiest solution was a seperate earth

I ripped out 4 core 25mm SWA the other week feeding a 3 phase sub board

probably about 60 metres, they were certainly using the armour as the cpc.....

Wayne, so what is the value of R2 for the armour of SWA? (and i'm not being 'funny' that is a genuine question)

I think this would have more to do with the adiabatic fourmula, because R1+R2 would only be relevant if you knew the breeaker (and its corresponding Zs) protecting the SWA

Now, just thinking logically here chaps, if you have TNS at your house, chances are its being feed from SWA, with the armour being used as the earth........:rolleyes:

both mccb and zs are known
resistance values for swa can be obtained from cable manufacturers

Sorry Wayne, we are bouncing back and 'fore between your job and this chaps job:p

of course I know how to get the R2 for SWA,I was asking what the actual value being used was

this is all getting very confusing:p

largely my fault ,sorry
dont know the values ,i,m just installing and the tech dept are far more intelligent than me
all i do know is because the run was longer than originally measured an additional cpc was required

you can get them upto 95mm,don't no why companies can't read cataloges .iv'e just put a 70mm 4 core in with 6.0cpc (computer say's so)computers can't read cat.either
yours benji

looked at the cleveland cable site ,yes they do 25x5 core but its got a 25 mm earth
running a seperate 16mm earth would be cheaper

yes 6.0mm does look small ,but comp. calc. prog.say,s its ok,it looks crap but we have elec. designers who do all the calcs. for us?

i would sooner install a 5c25mm than a 4c +16.0cpc ie only one cable to pull &only one to g&t

yours benji

the installation costs would be the same as you can generally get away with installing the swa and earth at the same time
that just leaves the price per metre of 25mm 5c swa versus 25mm 4c swa & 16mm earth

Reply to 3 Phase Supply, Need A Seperate Earth in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock