Discuss 3 Phase Synchronous Motors in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

O

Ogeerster

When starting 3 phase synchronous motors, they require a high starting current 4-7 times the full load current. If this current is taken from the 3 phase supply, the phase windings will burn out, to prevent this, they use starters to start 3 phase synchronous motors.

There are some methods of starting:

-Direct-On Line Starting
-Star Delta Starting
-Auto Transformer Starting

and there is Resistance starting. I have never came across Resistance starting before so if anyone has any knowledge about resistance starting with respect to 3 phase synchronous motors, i will very much be grateful.. Thanks!

Resistance starting is a method of starting that reduces starting currents by using resistors in the start up. Much like star delta starting reduces start currents variable restance is applied to motor winding a its highest to start and reduced to run.

Reply to 3 Phase Synchronous Motors in the Canada area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi Guys, We have a CNC router which uses single phase for the spindle, stepper motors and control box. This is all wired in and working...
Replies
Views
When I joined this forum a decade or so back, there was a discussion going on about a welder that was connected with a 3-core cable to L1, L2 and...
Replies
Views
Hi there, I got a call to a job, table saw (wood) tripping C/B straight away. 4kW motor on Star Delta Starter. So I get to the job, after some...
Replies
Views
Hi Guys, Is my understanding of why it is bad for a star/delta motor to be stuck in star correct? 1) Star delta starting is used as a method of...
Replies
Views
We have this Swiss-made Dixi horizontal borer from 1957, very nice machine still with its original DC variable voltage drive. In those days there...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock