Discuss 3 phase to single phase motor change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

N

Northen

Hi
I am looking to import some machines that compact fuel pellets from sawdust and the manufacturer fits an 18kw 3 phase motor that drives a belt and gearbox.
Is it possible to change this to a single phase motor or is this too big for a single phase ?
Regards
Bob

Hi
I am looking to import some machines that compact fuel pellets from sawdust and the manufacturer fits an 18kw 3 phase motor that drives a belt and gearbox.
Is it possible to change this to a single phase motor or is this too big for a single phase ?
Regards
Bob

^ Why would you want to do that? the specs / ratio of the motor and gearbox assy. are like they are for a reason its how the machine was designed to run, why would you want to change that? its like per-say, wanting to change your car from an automatic to manual...

not just that. if.say you had 3 machines, single phase, you'd need a 3 phase supply anyway.

Anything can be done, whether it is financially viable is a different matter.

Changing the motors would be very difficult.

Have you looked at getting a 3 phase generator?

Are you really sure it is 18KW and not 1.8Kw??? cos 18 Kw is a stonking great motor. You must be making some serious pellets.:gettree:

Also, you would be invalidating the "type" approval of the machinery, that is unless it is not built to "CE" standards, in which case you would legally be held as the manufacturer as you were the importer into the EU anyway. Thus any design decisions and the justification for them in the event of an incident would be down to you.

As has been said 18kW on 1ph, work it out, that is a heck of a load, if it starts even under part load, it would be doubtful that any "normal" 1ph supply such as domestic/small commercial would cope anyway!
Whilst it may be below the "rating" of the main fuse, I doubt the supply would be stiff enough to cope.
You would also need all your clients to contact their DNO and advise of the connection of such a piece of machinery anyway at that rating 1ph, ESQCR IIRC.

Best of luck finding an 18 KW single phase motor. Never mind starting it.

Tony,
(Past aside.)
I bet if you could get the kit, you could make it work! ;)
However, I do think the OP has his wires crossed...

What are the chances of finding an 18kW 1ph motor and suitable starter, probably need a soft start or vsd to limit the inrush, and the chances of getting these in 1ph?...

No-one commenting on my simple solution that keeps all warranties intact, is cheap and simple to execute?
Getting your supply upgraded would be a better solution, buying or hiring a genny for a machine you buy and assumably use long term will add thousands in fuel bills etc and maintenance of genny too, its only viable to do this if you are running the machine on trial or dont intend to keep it long.

We bought a generator at the last factory I did work in.

We already has a 3p 200A supply, it was not only cheaper running the gen than upgrading the incoming supply, but the fuel cost per unit was less.

We bought a generator at the last factory I did work in.

We already has a 3p 200A supply, it was not only cheaper running the gen than upgrading the incoming supply, but the fuel cost per unit was less.
Its possible to be more cost effective but your example is backing up an existing 3ph 140KVA supply, you go above this and you sit on the next tarriff level so get an initial higher standing charge just for having a bigger supply never mind the quote for it to be installed so yes it can be cheaper, OP example would probably require a 3ph 72KVA supply which still sits in the lower tarriff area then there are noise pollution etc and sound proofing costs if in residential areas... it all adds up, on lower sizes gens the costings have to be worked out very carefully as mentioned before Gen's have overheads to be considered to whether its viable, but will agree some situations do favour a genny as a cheaper solution.

I've never seen a single phase 230volt motor larger than 4 kW. Large single phase motors are very inefficient when direct on line. As already pointed out above I really don't see single phase as an option at 18kW.

Hi,i have had this issue in the past and got round it (for our own use NOT resale) by reducing motor size and increasing reduction gearbox advantage (its an extrusion type machine).It greatly reduces through-put and may require change of other 3 ph components. Option 2 is backed by alternative plants offered by your manufacturers on their web site-"...For those without 3 ph supply,we offer a diesel engine powered version..." Hope you find a successful way to sell your product,Good luck.:cheesy:

Even if you use the equipment for your own use it is still covered by all statute law if you are the importer, end of story.
Thus you have to comply with all rules, regulations, standards and statute law applying to the equipment that you import, and or modify.

Reply to 3 phase to single phase motor change in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net