Discuss 3 phase to single phase with no VSD in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
So basically I’ve got a 3 phase motor that I’d like to use to hook up to my cable stripping machine.
The motor was salvaged from an old site and I know it works. I know the easiest way to connect it up to a single phase supply would be to use a VSD but those are expensive. I was wondering if there’s be any sort of other way to connect it up

TL;DR
Trying to convert a 3 phase motor to single phase
The easiest thing to do is to sell the 3 phase motor an dbuy a single phase one.
Otherwise you can get single to three phase converters such as the transwave units.
Or there is a circuit you can build using capacitors if I remember correctly.

Yes you can make a simple phase-shift network that will enable a 3-phase motor to run on a single-phase supply. However there are limitations; its torque (and hence output power) and efficiency may be significantly reduced and it will only work optimally at one load torque, so may have reduced starting capability. It will need to be a 230/400V motor; a 3-lead 400V type would require 400V single-phase.

I was told many years ago by my foreman when I had just started at a motor repair shop that you could run a 230 delta 415 star motor if you ran in delta and put a capacitor across the phase supply.
Apparently the difficult bit is what size capacitor.
We used to have a box with switches on with lots of capacitors wired up in side and as you flicked the switches on and off the capcitence changed.
That way you could experiment until you got the right combination.

I think you basically end up with a cap run single phase motor
As stated it is a very inefficient way of running a motor.

You would be much better using a single phase to three phase inverter.
They have got a lot cheaper recently.
I got a old pillar drill that I thought was single phase but turned out to be three phase.
I priced up converting to single phase or running an inverter and ended up with the inverter.
The price was only a few quid cheaper but worked out a lot lees hassle as I would have also needed a new pulley and also needed to re-drill the mounting feet holes.
The other advantage of running the inverter is the ability to play with the speed via Hz control.
turned a 5 speed with a high and low ration in to a many speed drill.

The easiest thing to do is to sell the 3 phase motor an dbuy a single phase one.
Otherwise you can get single to three phase converters such as the transwave units.
Or there is a circuit you can build using capacitors if I remember correctly.
Yeah I remember something like 2 capacitors installed in parallel one for the initial start up and the other for the running process

thanks though
[automerge]1582829489[/automerge]
What size is the motor?
It was I say was as I’ve scrapped it now a 0.75Hp motor only a small one
[automerge]1582829670[/automerge]
Thanks for your help guys looks like I’m gonna be having to do it by hand anyway. Back to the drawing board

or something like this for £100

or this

I've got a self contained 3HP phase converter if your interested. It's yours for a decent drink and you sort collection. It was removed working from a panel Tuesday.

I might be interested if the OP is not.

Where about in the U.K. are you?

So basically I’ve got a 3 phase motor that I’d like to use to hook up to my cable stripping machine.
The motor was salvaged from an old site and I know it works. I know the easiest way to connect it up to a single phase supply would be to use a VSD but those are expensive. I was wondering if there’s be any sort of other way to connect it up
. Same here I have a 3 phase motor. I want to connect it to single phase

Reply to 3 phase to single phase with no VSD in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net