Discuss 3 phase to single phase in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Bongo

Hi everyone, newbie here to this forum.
i have been asked to see whether it is possible to adapt 3phase supply to single phase using 5 x pin & 3 x pin 64a trailing sockets
it is to run a catering van which has equipment pushing 50a if everything was on. i was thinking of using 10mm braided cable for the connection. the van has 63a RCD protection & everthing has been passed & signed off.
Can it be done?

Welcome to the forum.

Your a Trainee Electrician so you should be working under or alongside a competent supervisor - is this question better not asked to him/her first?

If you check the installation existing can still handle a 50amp load on 1-phase then a few options exist but we need a detailed breakdown of the existing set-up...we can't possible answer without more knowledge.

Why are you choosing braided cable? If you are fitting a plug to supply end your going to find issue earthing the braiding!
What is the front end device for the existing set-up?
When you calculated load did you apply diversity?
Routing of the flex and plug will also require some thought and assume outside so IP requirements and UV tolerances are 2 key things to consider - you cant just pick a flex and wire it you need to know the environmental protection the sheath provides - another reason SY is not a good choice.

The best soloution is a ready made 3ph to 1ph distribution unit.
Personally I prefer rubber box company but many other brands are available.

Braided flex (SY I assume) is not suitable. Black rubber ho7rnf flex is the accepted standard for temporary supplies in the places you are likely to be taking a mobile catering van.

I do a fair amount of outdoor event & festival work so have a little experience in this area.

Diversity has been taken into account
Braided was suggested as it has mechanical protection. not a problem changing it to Rubber as proposed by davesparks
Front end had 16 amp 3 pin comando.
Flex needs to be 16m long.
is it possible just to wire into 5 pin plug 3 x core cable thus making it single phase at the other end.
This is not a real scenario it is a quest ive been given by my tutor to find out if i am capable of research.

You could have told us about it being homework before, then we'd have left you to do your own homework ;)

Braided flex hasn't got mechanical protection! It's got a braided screen and a horrible sheath that will suffer when left outside.
BS7909 is likely to be relevant, depending on exactly where this mobile catering van is going.

Go and have a look at the products of rubber box co.

Now you've gone from 63A in your first post to 16A in the most recent, which is it?

Hi Dave, apologies, I'm not asking people to do my studies just to assist & benefit from your experience.
The front end is at present 16a but this will have to be changed to accommodate a cable big enough to take 50a
I have chosen 10mm as the OSG states it can take 67a do you think I'm being over cautious with this selection? I've also checked rubber box out & looks good to supply cable. But ( and this is my main focus) can I power down to single phase from a 3 phase supply? I have looked at other sites & been told that it can be done but i Would be limited to only 3m length. Is this correct?

If you have a 3 phase supply with a neutral then to gain a single phase supply you would just use one of the phases and the neutral.
So long as you have adequate protection for the cables then the design is not limited to 3m.
Depending on how your three phase supply is presented limits the choices of how you do this.
Using a single phase supply for 50A when the system can operate on three phases is not ideal.
You would preferably want a balanced draw from each phase, but this may be over-complicating things.
Cable selection would be based on the installation method and anticipated use but 10mm² seems a good starting point, so long as you do not need to derate it.

Rubber box to supply cable? I think you've been looking at the wrong rubber box co!
The one I am talking about manufacture rubber distribution boxes to take any temporary incoming supply you want and give you any outlet you want.

Unless I have misunderstood your original question that is? I read it as being you have a 63A three phase socket and a 63A single phase plug and need a soloution to marry the two together.

Sorry too quick in the button. From a 3phase socket outlet, can I get a cable down to single phase. By connecting a 3 core cable to the 5 pin plug therefore I am only using one of the phases. Thus making it single phase.

You have your answers, what more do you need?
Either buy a distro box like this
3 phase to single phase 63A 3ph to 16 16A 1ph - EletriciansForums.net
or make up a cable like this
3 phase to single phase 3 to 3 1 y cord - EletriciansForums.net

Reply to 3 phase to single phase in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock