Discuss 3 phase welder 2 phase supply? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

madseb

-
Reaction score
hi all
I have been asked by a friend with a small workshop to swap the plug on an ali welder he has just purchased.
upon inspection the welder has an old style bakrlight plug. and also is stated on the machine as 400v single phase 50-60hz

when the old plug as removed there was only three 6mm (l.n.e) cables preset.

after a little research, and conflicting info on here, am correct in thinking this is a dual phase supply, and that I can infact terminate the new modern commando plug, as (l1,l2,e) and allowing said friend to use it on his current 3phase outlets?

forgive the questions, but three phase is a little new to me (domestic background)

thanks in advance,

madseb

Last edited:
Fit a standard 3phase 4pin plug and connect as 2ph and earth .... going on the info supplied by you is correct, ensure the welder dosn't have different connection terminals inside for different supply voltages ...usually this would be evident on the Electrical plate too as it would show different input voltages.

can you put up a picture of the tally plate of the welder what type of plug was on the machine originally some. is it an arc welder some of these have diferent windings in side for different input voltages

hi, thanks for the quick replies guys.
I would be lead to belive it is 400v only as stated on he plate, I have advised the friend to open the unit to check, as this is also my knowledge of these machines

3 phase welder 2 phase supply?

Don't you mean 3 phase supply, 2 phase welder?? lol!!

Anyway, as stated check the internal terminal connections, but sounds to me like you can just change the plug top to an appropriately sized modern commando style 3 phase plug using L1 & L2 + E ....

Don't you mean 3 phase supply, 2 phase welder?? lol!!

Anyway, as stated check the internal terminal connections, but sounds to me like you can just change the plug top to an appropriately sized modern commando style 3 phase plug using L1 & L2 + E ....

Good call ... even i missed that little gaff lol

i am yet to return to said premises, but ill be visiting next week, so will update the thread with a conclusion, to assist anyone searching the same queries in the future.

Reply to 3 phase welder 2 phase supply? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock