Discuss 3 phone points in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi there, sorry if posting in the wrong section

rewiring this house, been asked to put 3 phone points in the house.

now do i run a cat5 cable to each from point of entry point or do i link them.

I know few of you will laugh lol

thanks

daisy chain in telephone 3 pair or cat5. so you go from master socket to slave1 slave 1 to slave 2, slave 2 to slave 3. connect terminals 2 and 5.

link them all together

Master -> Slave 1 -> Slave 2 -> Slave 3

connect the cable in number 2 and number 5

usually white/blue and blue/white

don't mix the colours

^^^Perfect^^^

The incoming "slave" will have blue/white at term 2 and white/blue at term 5. Just connect that to your extension points as if your doing a radial socket circuit without a cpc wire.

i would have added the colour against the number but i couldn't be 100% and i had a small child bashing me with a empty​ bottle of milk

i would have added the colour against the number but i couldn't be 100% and i had a small child bashing me with a empty​ bottle of milk

Its only because I did one the other week. I dont have a small child hitting me with an empty bottle atm but I do have a wife telling me to get off this forum lol. I think she has some needs? Now is it terminal 1 or 2? She will tell me when I try pmsl :rofl:

Do you need a ''master'' these days?? I ask, because shortly before i left Cyprus to work over here, i had connection problems with my computers broadband. The telephone company came out after contacting my provider there. After a bit of testing and what have you, they went to the master outlet snipped two wires out, the capacitor, and a couple of other bits, and away they went!! lol!! No need for master outlets anymore on our modern telephone system was the reply, when asked what happens if i no longer want a broadband connection!!

Unless something has suddenly change, masters (with cap, resistor and inductor) are installed on the incoming cable usually blue/white stripe and white/blue stripe. if using all masters the you can connect just 2 & 5, masters to slave are 2, 5, and 3.
If 3 is not connected to slaves then the phones will not ring on the slave outlets

Unless something has suddenly change, masters (with cap, resistor and inductor) are installed on the incoming cable usually blue/white stripe and white/blue stripe. if using all masters the you can connect just 2 & 5, masters to slave are 2, 5, and 3.
If 3 is not connected to slaves then the phones will not ring on the slave outlets

Well everything worked perfectly after they left, broadband and telephones!! Which i why i asked the question in the first place!!

i would only presume the cut the componts and plug in a broadband filter

They definitely will ring on just 2 & 5

What’s all this about the ring wire removal then?

Many users on ADSL-Guide have found disconnecting the ring-wire from terminal 3 has improved line stats, sometimes in huge amounts. A forum member sent me this information. (I deleted your email, so email me and I will add your name to the Bibliography)
Many years ago the UK telephone system adopted a different policy to that in the rest of the world. Here in the UK a choice was made to move a ring component, which enables the telephone to ring, out of the telephone and into the master socket.
The main reason for this, involved ‘pulse-dialling’, which has now been replaced by ‘tone-dialling. It was a good idea at the time because it made it possible to stop the ‘tinkling’ that occurred on other extensions when a phone was dialling.
However, there was a downside: To get the ring signal into the telephone we now have to run a third wire from the socket to the phone. Also, since we only need one ring capacitor on our line, and it is located at the 'master' socket, we have to take three wires to all our extensions, rather than the two wires which come to the house.
On most modern wiring you will find the original phone signal connected on the 'blue-white' pair of wires (Terminals 2 and 5) and the extra 'ring' signal connected on an orange wire (Terminal 3), though these colour codes are not always followed.
Now, since ADSL filters only filter the main telephone pair, they must re-generate the ring signal themselves. All of this is of only passing interest but it does mean that you only need to feed an ADSL filter with two wires. The ring signal for the third terminal on the attached phone is generated internally. Since most telephone extension wiring consists of two pairs, you may find this information particularly useful if you need to use a particular run of pre-installed cable for both a filtered and unfiltered signal (However Cat5e/Cat6 has that extra pair remember?). It is up to you if you wish to remove the ring wire, and the reasons for doing so are listed later on in a section that Phil, better known as Yarwell from ADSL-guide as written.

If the incoming ADSL signal is weak, or mixing with a lot of interference, it is possible that the layout of the extension wiring within your premises can degrade the signal even further.
If you suspect that this maybe a problem, then you will need to do all you can to optimise the layout of your wiring.
The basic principle is to ensure that there is only one path for the ADSL signal - from your master socket to your modem. If it is running off an extension then there should be no blind alleys caused by t-junctions or branches on the way. All of these blind alleys should be closed off with a filter so that the ADSL signal cannot pass down them.

Maybe the phones in Cyprus are now incorporating the ring components, perhaps the telephone system all changed since building the house, i really don't know!! All i know, the technician chopped the components out of the master!! To be honest i didn't take that much interest at the time, but the phones all work including the ringing, and haven't had any broadband connection problems since!! lol!!

Reply to 3 phone points in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock