Discuss 3 plate method, loft light only turns on if bedroom light is switched off? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I wired 3 plate method loft light from supplying from my sisters bedroom light ceiling rose, the only way the loft light I fitted tuned on is if my sisters bedroom light was off, so then I it was really bugging me I went back to my connections supplying the loft light at my sisters ceiling rose my connections was right com from ceiling rose to switch com SL from switch to loft light, everything was fine but still the problem, I then put the live from the com in the ceiling rose into the SL in the ceiling rose seeing what will happen, I then tried the loft light, turned on my sisters light, turned off my sisters light and the loft light was operating Perfect as a normal switch would, I told her to try it the next day because it didn’t seem theoretically right that it would work normally as I connected it to the SL meaning really the loft light would only work if her light was switched on, but no it worked like a normal light switch, my sister tried it like a said the next day and it didn’t work, she then turned on her light and turned on the loft light and it worked, I turned changed the connections back from supply in sisters room from the SL back into the com, it then worked again as normal VERY CONFUSED, I then went away and said try it again:) she tried it and the loft light would only turn on if her light was off? Helpppppppp

or... could have a N connected to S/L so when bedroom light is off, the loft light sees the S/L as a false N, giving a path back through the resistance of the bedroom light.

Loft live feed connected to the switch if loft I’ve checked wiring and there in correct places really confused though
Loft Live needs to be connected to Live loop in loop out NOT switch Live, does the loft light have a separate switch?

Last edited:
or... could have a N connected to S/L so when bedroom light is off, the loft light sees the S/L as a false N, giving a path back through the resistance of the bedroom light.
Loft Live needs to be connected to Live loop in loop out NOT switch Live, does the loft light have a separate switch?
sorry I worded that wrong loft live is connected to com in switch, So from ceiling rose in bedroom COM to loft switch COM
[automerge]1587147850[/automerge]
Yeah separate switch mate

sorry I worded that wrong loft live is connected to com in switch, So from ceiling rose in bedroom COM to loft switch COM
Where is the feed connected at the bedroom light
[automerge]1587148005[/automerge]
[automerge]1587147850[/automerge]

Yeah separate switch mate
So you have looped to the loft switch, Why? loop from BR switched pair from Loft light to loft light switch

Your drawing shows 3 cables incoming to the N terminal of the bedroom rose, and none to the switched live terminal. Are you sure you've drawn this correctly? Or have you inadvertently moved a cable.

Edit: There is normally one less incoming cable to the N terminal compared to the unswitched L terminal.

where is the switched L to the bedroom light (from the bedroom switch)?
Yeah it’s from the switch
[automerge]1587150309[/automerge]
Your drawing shows 3 cables incoming to the N terminal of the bedroom rose, and none to the switched live terminal. Are you sure you've drawn this correctly? Or have you inadvertently moved a cable.
That was just a rough drawing of the neutral cables sorry it’s not like that just though I’d make it look the part haha

going by the drawing, i blame the spider that drew it, then took up residence in the part labelled "loft light". and he's 6 legs short of a full 8.

Yeah it’s from the switch
[automerge]1587150309[/automerge]

That was just a rough drawing of the neutral cables sorry it’s not like that just though I’d make it look the part haha

Can you perhaps draw exactly what you have at the bedroom rose, it might help solve your problem. For example, it is not uncommon at the last light on the circuit for N and SL to be mixed up, but since you have a L+N feed IN and feed OUT per your drawing, I've discounted that.

Reply to 3 plate method, loft light only turns on if bedroom light is switched off? in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net