Discuss 3 Storey HMO fire alarm and emergency lighting. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

dlt27

-
Reaction score
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I have just rewired a HMO and have now been asked to do fire alarm and emergency lighting.
I have wired both when working for previous company, but always followed drawings and never had anything to do with design. I started it today and after a bit of thinking I didn't know if I should take it on or whether to pass it onto another company or at least try to get fire alarm company to commission it.
For fire alarm it has been specced that all beds need detectors and landings and also heat in kitchen. Also break glasses. I started to wire a conventional system with a zone for each floor and a break glass (1300mm AFFL) at top of each staircase and also one at each exit door on ground floor. I have put a sounder on wall (1800mm AFFL) on each floor and 2 on ground floor. I know I need 2 sounder circuits, but does that mean I will need 2 on each floor and 4 on ground floor to meet requirements?
For Emergency lights I have put key switch on each floor, exit box at each door exit, bulkhead in each stairwell, bulkhead in each corridor, bulkhead in lounge as part of exit route and also bulkhead by front door (do stairwell ones need legends stuck on them with down arrows and if so how much do the stickers affect lux levels?)
Basically I was hoping someone could give guidance on if I missed anything out. Also do you think I should try and get fire alarm company to come and have a look and commission. Thank you

Get professional help there is a lot more to designing and installing safety systems than hoping for the best, do you have the relevant British Standards.

your emergency lighting design doesn't sound like it will comply with current requirements.
Have you done anything to assess the required levels of illumination, or have you just scattered the fittings around on a random basis?

Someone like Aico can assist, at the top of the page, with design and installation and also do courses. Why don't you get in touch with them.

Being a full grade A, Aico are not going to be much help. Suggest you work with a registered fire alarm company. They will be glad to design and commission leaving the cable install to yourself. This way certification, as fitted drawings, zone carts and full O & M can be submitted to BC.
Rule of thumb with EM lighting is to achieve 1 lux min along the centre of any escape route. Any change of direction or level will need to be enhanced with additional fittings, Along with extinguisher points, and high risk areas.

Reply to 3 Storey HMO fire alarm and emergency lighting. in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock