Discuss 3 way light switching in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ben761

DIY
Reaction score
Good afternoon,

I wonder if someone could please give me some advice on a problem I am having with my bedroom lights. I have replaced the switches for new ones.

The wall light in the bedroom is controlled by a dimmer switch by the door and then by a switch either side of the bed. The dimmer is a 2g2w which also operates the ceiling light which works fine.

The bed switches are an intermediate switch and a 1g2w.

The wiring is the loop at the switch method so at the dimmer I have connected all neutrals together in a block, the supply in and out into each common with a link wire across the commons, the wall light brown to L2, the 3c+e black and brown to L1 and the grey to L2.

At the intermediate the 3c+e from the dimmer: Black L1, Grey L3.

The 3c+e to the 1g2w switch: Black L2, Grey L4.

The browns are joined in a block.

At the 1g2w switch:

Brown Com, Black L1, Grey L2.

The problem I am having is that although all the switches turn the lights on and off as I expect, when I click the dimmer off, the lights go off but then come back on a second later. They dim without a problem.

Any help you can give with this would be really appreciated. Could it be a faulty dimmer switch or have I messed up the wiring?

Ben

Attachments

• 3 way light switching PXL_20230205_132216616 - EletriciansForums.net
    PXL_20230205_132216616.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 12
And a photo of the intermediate switch.

Attachments

• 3 way light switching PXL_20230205_132412259 - EletriciansForums.net
    PXL_20230205_132412259.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 6
And a photo of the intermediate switch.
I think I have worked out my mistake. At the dimmer, the brown from the 3c+e should have gone to com and not L1.

Reply to 3 way light switching in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock