Discuss 3 Way Switch at Two Locations in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I have five setups in my home (Kitchen, three hallways and back porch lights) that have two light switches (one at each end of the room or, with the back porch lights, switches in two different rooms). I am replacing all of the switches in the home to a different color. One of the hallways and the back porch lights work perfectly. However, the other two halls and the kitchen I can't get to work right for the life of me. I figured I would start with a hallway and see if anyone can help. I'm going to insert some images for reference:

Screen Shot 2021-02-28 at 4.50.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-28 at 4.45.22 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-28 at 4.47.44 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-02-28 at 4.48.21 PM.png

You either have the 'hot' wire on switch 1 on the wrong terminal, or the wire to the lamp on switch 2 is on the wrong terminal.
You say there is a 'hot' wire at switch 2 when switch 1 is connected. Is that a one wire that is 'hot' when switch 1 is up, and a different one when switch 1 is down?
Do all US switches have large, unenclosed potentially 'hot' terminals on the side of them like yours, along with the bare 'ground' wires?

You either have the 'hot' wire on switch 1 on the wrong terminal, or the wire to the lamp on switch 2 is on the wrong terminal.
You say there is a 'hot' wire at switch 2 when switch 1 is connected. Is that a one wire that is 'hot' when switch 1 is up, and a different one when switch 1 is down?
Do all US switches have large, unenclosed potentially 'hot' terminals on the side of them like yours, along with the bare 'ground' wires?
The hot wire at switch 1 is connected to the correct screw according to everything I can find and the instructions that come with the switches.

I disconnected switch two and tested your question. When Switch 1 is Up, the red wire at switch 2 is hot. When Switch 1 is Down, one of the black wires at switch 2 is hot.

As far as I know, this is what all light switches look like in the US. I've never seen any that look different.

Those switches look decidedly lethal to UK eyes. The only ones with that much exposed terminal were last made in the '60s.
Sounds like switch 1 is wired correctly.
If there are two black wires at switch 2, try swapping them over.

I got the hallway working. The thing you said that sparked the lightbulb in my head was the thing about different wires in switch 2 being hot depending on if the toggle in switch 1 was up or down. Now, I will see if that's the same issue i the other two places. Thanks!

Reply to 3 Way Switch at Two Locations in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net