Discuss 3 way switch lagging in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Your links do not work. What do you mean by 'lag'.

Your links do not work. What do you mean by 'lag'.
yeah you might have to copy paste the links into your browser. The on/off non dimmer lags or takes a second or two for the light to come on. I don't have this issue with the other switch that's a dimmer. I replaced both switches with new to make sure it wasn't a faulty switch.

I think the Lowes website is blocked for us here in the UK where many members on this forum are, so we can't see the products in question. Can you post part numbers so we can look them up at Lutron? If the regular 3-way is a mechanical switch rather than electronic, it can't be the cause of the delay, it must be how the dimmer reacts to it. If it is electronic, is it designed to operate with the Lutron dimmer specifically? Are neutrals present for those switches that need them? When the light does respond to the remote 3-way, does it switch on suddenly or fade up?

It could also be the bulb having a lag. Those switches, and LED bulbs have electronics in them and there could be a momentary delay before they come on.

I think the Lowes website is blocked for us here in the UK where many members on this forum are, so we can't see the products in question. Can you post part numbers so we can look them up at Lutron? If the regular 3-way is a mechanical switch rather than electronic, it can't be the cause of the delay, it must be how the dimmer reacts to it. If it is electronic, is it designed to operate with the Lutron dimmer specifically? Are neutrals present for those switches that need them? When the light does respond to the remote 3-way, does it switch on suddenly or fade up?

eaton switch Model #7503W-BX-LW
lutron dimmer Model #STCL-153MH-WH

The eaton switch is the one im having trouble with. It does not have a ground but does have a red, black and white. It turns on suddenly.

Here is some pics
- the pic with just the red, black and whit is where the non dimmer is. Hopefully this helps.

Attachments

• electric 1.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 13
  • electric 2.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 7
  • electric 3.jpg
    301.4 KB · Views: 8
  • electric 4.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 14
I am not seeing the (yellow) link at the mechanical switch end. Is it fitted? It links one traveler to the common. What it does is repurposes that traveler as a permanent connection so that the dimmer and lamp always have a circuit to keep the dimmer electronics alive. The dimmer uses the other traveler, the one connected to the dimmer blue wire, to detect the position of the switch, using it as a regular single pole switch.

If the link is not fitted, I expect the delay is caused by the dimmer having to reboot when the mechanical switch is operated, because the permanent keep-alive circuit is missing.

I am not seeing the (yellow) link at the mechanical switch end. Is it fitted? It links one traveler to the common. What it does is repurposes that traveler as a permanent connection so that the dimmer and lamp always have a circuit to keep the dimmer electronics alive. The dimmer uses the other traveler, the one connected to the dimmer blue wire, to detect the position of the switch, using it as a regular single pole switch.

If the link is not fitted, I expect the delay is caused by the dimmer having to reboot when the mechanical switch is operated, because the permanent keep-alive circuit is missing.
What exactly do you mean by yellow link? Either way how would i go about correcting this?

Thanks
Derrick

so if i understand correctly, i should use the yellow jumper and pair it up with the two travelers on the mechanical switch?
Sorry, I'm not clear myself on exactly how you have wired the Eaton switch.
The diagram below from the Lutron literature is what you are trying to achieve, it should be possible to work it out from there.
Hope this helps.

4A01094D-7776-4C13-B514-4CF0FD2BED0E.jpeg.

thank you very much - I was able to get it to work!

Have a great weekend!

Reply to 3 way switch lagging in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net