Discuss 3 way switching and low energy bulbs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

cbw

-
Reaction score
There are low energy bulbs installed on a standard lighting circuit, there is 3 or 4 way switching using standard intermediate and 2 way switches, all tests ok with no deviation to regs.

WHY do the low energy bulbs constantly pulse at about 40 pulses per minuite, it looks like they are trying to start up even though switched off?

It does not happen with standard bulbs.

How can I get around this, they want to use low energy bulbs?

CBW

This comes up fairly regularly,so out of interest I have copied some information about the reasons and possible solutions
I was aware that 2-way switching wired via 2 strappers could cause this problem
below is some info I found,as yet i cant find a supplier

A CFL may flash occasionally when off if the switch wire run is especially long.

In exceptional cases a CFL will flash occasionally when switched off. This is due to wiring capacitance passing a tiny current, which gradually charges the CFL's reservoir capacitor, and after a while it attmpts to start, giving a momentary flicker.
2 conditions tend to cause this:

an especially long switch run
supply switched on the neutral instead of live pole

If a filament lamp is on the the same switch (or PIR/ timer) as the flickering CFL, the problem will not occur. The filament lamp can be a low power type, such as 15w.
Resistor

It is also possible to stop the problem by fitting a suitable resistor in parallel with the bulbholder. Use either:

• A 270k to 470k 400v rated resistor, or
  • 2x 150k to 220k 200v rated resistors in series, with both the same resistance value.
Resistor choice explained:

A capacitor can be used in the same way as a resistor. These should not be fitted inside the lampholder itself for temperature reasons. Capacitors consume no power.
A 10nF 275vac capacitor with X2 dielectric is suitable.
Note that capacitors marked as 250v rated are totally unsuitable for mains use. Before the advent of X & Y capacitor classifications, 600vdc caps were often used on unfiltered mains, but this is no longer compliant.
A 270k resistor will dissipate 0.2w on 240v mains.
2 way switch
R1
o---/\/\--- Neutral
switched live line to lamp ----o---
o------ Live

No-flash variation
R1 is a single 270k resistor rated to 400v, or 2 identical 150k 1/4w resistors in series.

Thanks Des, thing is it goes on and on, nothing momentary, it is only on the circuits with intermediate switches.

Got me stummped, plan to go and have a long play with this in the new year!

CBW

Hi cbw

I had a fluorescent fitting flicker like this when the switch was off and it turned out to be a reverse polarity coming in from supply authority

Reply to 3 way switching and low energy bulbs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock