Discuss 30 years old, career change. Want to retrain as an electrician! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi

I did the 17th, PAT, 2392, 2391, EAL and a few others in 2 weeks at Technique Training in Chesterfield. I thought they were good - however, and it's a big however, I am 51 and have a lot of experience. The courses are normally 4 or 6 weeks. I last worked as a spark in 1982 although I have done quite a few big jobs in between when I have needed to. I did the courses to bring myself up to date and get involved in inspection and testing.

The point here is that I think that without experience then all the course would teach you is to install and test. Fault finding - you wouldn't stand a chance and please don't take that as an insult. The intensive courses teach you to pass exams.

Cheers, Ron

I couldn't agree more. I did an apprenticeship 15 years back but never finished it. Finally decided I'd made a mistake and went back to college full time aged 28 in 2007 and I can honestly say I'd consider it impossible to learn in such a short time the amount of information I have had to take in over the last 2 years. I'm now doing my final level 3 exams (got my 302 written in 3 hours as it happens) and there is simply no way a person could work to this level in such a short time. We've spent weeks upon weeks testing and faultfinding and you just can't learn it in days, or even weeks...

From what my tutors inform me these intensive courses give you the bare legal minimum required to call yourself this or that, but you're nowhere near an electrician. I paid under £2000 for my 2330 altogether. It's taken 2 years but I feel it's been absolutely worth it. Moving on to the 2391 in autumn. A long road but a worthwhile one.

hi mate

i am just getting all my quals together

if you are claiming working family tax credit you can get some of the courses paid for (2382,2391 and part p) but 2330 is none fundable but most colleges let you pay for it monthly.i'm paying £835 a year for it which is a lot less than 6 grand.

If you are on any type of benefit you should be able to get a reduced rate on the 2330 course. i am currently doing this course at a cost of £95 per year at weston college in somerset

Tried that at my college and they told me the courses weren't government funded and had to pay full whack.Want to do my 2391-10 but can't get any reductions even thou i get jobseekers allowance

yep, that's the way it goes as the 2391-10 is an industry course(peaple in the industry do it) it's not publicly funded:(

I couldn't agree more. I did an apprenticeship 15 years back but never finished it. Finally decided I'd made a mistake and went back to college full time aged 28 in 2007 and I can honestly say I'd consider it impossible to learn in such a short time the amount of information I have had to take in over the last 2 years. I'm now doing my final level 3 exams (got my 302 written in 3 hours as it happens) and there is simply no way a person could work to this level in such a short time. We've spent weeks upon weeks testing and faultfinding and you just can't learn it in days, or even weeks...

From what my tutors inform me these intensive courses give you the bare legal minimum required to call yourself this or that, but you're nowhere near an electrician. I paid under £2000 for my 2330 altogether. It's taken 2 years but I feel it's been absolutely worth it. Moving on to the 2391 in autumn. A long road but a worthwhile one.

i'm on my 2391 now..coudn't agree more

Reply to 30 years old, career change. Want to retrain as an electrician! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock