Discuss 30 years old, career change. Want to retrain as an electrician! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

HODGE

Hello everyone,

This is my first post. I was recently made redundant from my job of 8 years. Ive worked in the interior design industry for the past 10 years as a CAD designer/technician, but now fancy moving away from the desk to do a more hands on job.
I've thought about the job of electrician for quite a while, and now I think it is a perfect time for me to retrain.

However, I'm not really sure of the best route to take. Ive looked into a few training centre schemes such as New Career Skills and OLCI, but they are very expensive (£6000) and from what i've read on this forum, they dont really seem to offer a good service for the money.

Does anyone have any advice on which route to go, what qualifications are needed ? etc.

Maybe some of you are in the same situation as me.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Adam

Started sparking when i left school but didn't finish it,that was 25 years ago.Decided i wanted to go back to it last September and wrote to nearly all the electricians in the area that i live offering my services for free to gain the experience.The electrician i eventually worked for told me what qualifications i needed to do and what courses to do.He told me that these companies were a waste of money mate.Spoke to the tutor at the college i attended and he reckoned you could do the courses these people offer for about £2000.

hi mate

i am just getting all my quals together

if you are claiming working family tax credit you can get some of the courses paid for (2382,2391 and part p) but 2330 is none fundable but most colleges let you pay for it monthly.i'm paying £835 a year for it which is a lot less than 6 grand.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi mate

i am just getting all my quals together

if you are claiming working family tax credit you can get some of the courses paid for (2382,2391 and part p) but 2330 is none fundable but most colleges let you pay for it monthly.i'm paying £835 a year for it which is a lot less than 6 grand.
Tried that at my college and they told me the courses weren't government funded and had to pay full whack.Want to do my 2391-10 but can't get any reductions even thou i get jobseekers allowance

it may be worth looking at different colleges because i got all my 2391 and 2381 paid and just had to pay for the exam for the part p which was 50 quid.

it may be worth looking at different colleges because i got all my 2391 and 2381 paid and just had to pay for the exam for the part p which was 50 quid.
Where in the country do you live.Tried it at Swindon College and i was told i had to pay the full price.Took 17th in January and had to pay full price.Want to take 2391-10 but can't get money together.Swindon College want nearly £700 to do this exam.Cheers Paul

i live in stoke on trent

i did my 2381 and 2391 at newcastle under lyme college and i did my part p and 2330 at stoke on trent college.

i enrollrd at my local college for my 2330 stages 1-3
i get family tax credits and i have had nearly all of my course fees paid .
i have only had to pay about £20 towards the courses .
my nvq3 would have cost me about £1200 but as it was my first level 3 course i got remmision for most of the fee and had to find about £250 in the end .
the college also has a acsess fund which i applied for and got help with various books for my course
a guy on my course has no kids and therefore does not get the family tax credits but he gets working tax credits and he was also able to get most of his course fees paid
good luck in getting sorted

it's bad when it varies from college to college it should be the same across the board because when you are fully trained and become an electrician you will pay more tax so the government gets it's money back anyway.

i enrollrd at my local college for my 2330 stages 1-3
i get family tax credits and i have had nearly all of my course fees paid .
i have only had to pay about £20 towards the courses .
my nvq3 would have cost me about £1200 but as it was my first level 3 course i got remmision for most of the fee and had to find about £250 in the end .
the college also has a acsess fund which i applied for and got help with various books for my course
a guy on my course has no kids and therefore does not get the family tax credits but he gets working tax credits and he was also able to get most of his course fees paid
good luck in getting sorted
I've tried everywhere for funding.Where do you live in the UK.It must depend where you live.

As the Centre Manager of a Private Training Provider, i would ask that we don't all get tarred with the same brush. I appreciate that there are some 'dodgy' training outfits out there, all 'home study' and for lots of money etc etc. But there are some great training providers around who offer exactly what the Colleges offer only quicker and at a price. If you have all the time in the world then i think College is a great option but if you're in a bit more of a rush to move into the industry and you have the finances available, Private Providers (the right ones) are where you should be. Very few Private Providers offer the full package: 2330 at levels 2 and 3, 2382, 2391 and 2356 (NVQ Level 3). We are one of the 'good guys' who can progress you through the entire process and provide support all of the way. We can also provide the Domestic (Part P) courses if you want to dip your toes in before committing to something bigger. If you can get on a College course then great but if not, there are other options available......... Go visit a Private Provider and see what's available long term.

The more I read, the more confused I become as to which route to take!

ANGELASKILLS, which part of the country is your centre?

Hi

We are based in Dartford in Kent.
It is confusing out there but you need to start by deciding whether you want to eventually become a fully qualified Electrician or whether you want to become a Domestic Installer.

Domestic Installer quals can be achieved in a relativley short period of time and if you pick the right centre, shouldn't cost you too much money. Minimum requirements can be achieved with us in 10 days @ £1100 but there are add ons required later down the line to increase competence and understanding.
Electricians quals require longer time, dedication and money althogh we offer payment plans, flexible training options, weekends etc.

My advice would be to check out Able Skills even if it's to get some good honest guidance!;)

Hi

We are based in Dartford in Kent.
It is confusing out there but you need to start by deciding whether you want to eventually become a fully qualified Electrician or whether you want to become a Domestic Installer.

Domestic Installer quals can be achieved in a relativley short period of time and if you pick the right centre, shouldn't cost you too much money. Minimum requirements can be achieved with us in 10 days @ £1100 but there are add ons required later down the line to increase competence and understanding.
Electricians quals require longer time, dedication and money althogh we offer payment plans, flexible training options, weekends etc.

My advice would be to check out Able Skills even if it's to get some good honest guidance!;)
Hi,i did an apprenticeship 25 years ago.I did 4 1/2 years and gained my 236-1 and 236-2 in 1985 and 1987 respectively.Left the industry after this and did other things.Got back into the industry last September and did my 17th edition in January and passed.Have been on incapacity benefit for last 2 years and am working for an electrician voluntarily to catch up with a lot of stuff i've forgot.Want to go back to and do my 2392 or 2391 inspection and testing to gain employment.What kind of payment schemes do you offer.

Regards

Paul;)

Hi

As 2391 is sat only on specific dates throughout the year, we run our courses close to the exam dates. We are currently full until 13th July. A 2391 with us is £550.00 inc vat. A £200 deposit will secure a booking and the balance can be paid on the start date of the course.

Angela

im live in north devon .
my local college is north devon college in barnstaple.
i have had no trouble getting my courses funded whatsoever.
i did'nt realise it was a different case around the country .

me neither but i think i'll give that adult learning grant a go and if i get it backdated i could pay for the AM2.

2391 lambeth college £190 now that is cheap. kingston college £350
all tech colleges between £190 and £400
private training normally way above that
i dont like private training they have a well earned bad name
however £550 could be the best of a bad bunch
find out what price for a resit or is it included in price

Hi

I did the 17th, PAT, 2392, 2391, EAL and a few others in 2 weeks at Technique Training in Chesterfield. I thought they were good - however, and it's a big however, I am 51 and have a lot of experience. The courses are normally 4 or 6 weeks. I last worked as a spark in 1982 although I have done quite a few big jobs in between when I have needed to. I did the courses to bring myself up to date and get involved in inspection and testing.

The point here is that I think that without experience then all the course would teach you is to install and test. Fault finding - you wouldn't stand a chance and please don't take that as an insult. The intensive courses teach you to pass exams.

Cheers, Ron

Reply to 30 years old, career change. Want to retrain as an electrician! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock