Discuss 302 written, what books can i take in? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

ExArmy

-
Reaction score
got this tomorrow, college has not yet given a definitive guide to books that can and can't be taken into the exam,

are the following books allowed:

• BS7671:2008
  • On Site Guide
  • Guidance note 3
?
thanks

I don't think you are allowed any books at all. I never once had a book in any of my written exams. Why should you be allowed a book? The written is about general knowledge not if you can souce & read like the 2382...

If certain colleges are allowing this guilds should be made aware....

just checked city and guilds website and read up on this to make sure and it says for 302 material aloud :
BS7671: Requirements for Electrical Installations June 2008
• IEE On-Site Guide and/or AEEU Guide to Good Electrical Practice
• IEE 17th edition Corrigendum

http://www.cityandguilds.com/documents/ind_construction_electrical/Permitted_Reference_Material.pdf

I find that bizarre... never once told we where aloud to use text books. Certainly think that needs to be changed. No-one in our college used any text books in our exams....It was fobidden. this was 2008

I find that bizarre... never once told we where aloud to use text books. Certainly think that needs to be changed. No-one in our college used any text books in our exams....It was fobidden. this was 2008

Well i know for sure that in 2008 to 2009 you were allowed books in written papers on the 2330. To my mind i don't see anything wrong with open book exams as in the real world you would have your OSG and BS 7671 with you. You have to know how to use them, and use them quickly, if they are going to be of any use. It would be a pointless exam if it was just a test of memory. There is no skill/ability in just remembering facts - you need to be able to look up in books as to whether results are acceptable or not. Give joe public the osg and the same questions and they wouldn't know where to begin. :)

Well i know for sure that in 2008 to 2009 you were allowed books in written papers on the 2330. To my mind i don't see anything wrong with open book exams as in the real world you would have your OSG and BS 7671 with you. You have to know how to use them, and use them quickly, if they are going to be of any use. It would be a pointless exam if it was just a test of memory. There is no skill/ability in just remembering facts - you need to be able to look up in books as to whether results are acceptable or not. Give joe public the osg and the same questions and they wouldn't know where to begin. :)

100% disagree sorry. Its pointless having a memory test?....How? A more competent spark would be able to answer questions without having to refer to the books. Give Joe public an on-site guide and yes he would have a far better chance of passing the exam than without one....

2391 is closed book and has a terrible pass rate...why?...because you need the knowldge stored in your head.

100% disagree sorry. Its pointless having a memory test?....How? A more competent spark would be able to answer questions without having to refer to the books. Give Joe public an on-site guide and yes he would have a far better chance of passing the exam than without one....

2391 is closed book and has a terrible pass rate...why?...because you need the knowldge stored in your head.
emm says on city and guilds websites books are also aloud for 2391-303

Last edited:
personally i think it should be open book, remember this course is for new electricians, I think it would be unreasonable to expect electricians in training to remember everything. and the real world is open book
now the 2391, is a bit different i think it should be closed book, as the people taking this course should already be time served working electricians so they should know everything off the top of their heads
and when I did the 2391 in Jan 2010 it was certainly closed book. are some training centres doing this open book?

Reason you can have brb and osg is because its has possible cable calc questions and other related things to do with brb,
the whole point of 302 is to show you have an understanding of the brb not know it back to front.

The 2391-303 is an open book exam.

It is the written exam of the 2391-20 examination.

As far as i remember i was allowed BS7671 in unit 302 of the 2391-10 they didn't expect me to remember figures that could be looked up, eg Zs values. they expected me to be able to use the book and interpret it. Unit 301 is only closed book because the questions are considered to be every day tasks that are common in the workplace, and even then it will provide info that you would normally look up.

It is far more important that you can use and interpret these publications such as the OSG and BS7671 rather than try to remember them. I am sure that the regs books of the people you would call "more competent sparks" are very well thumbed. The 2391-10 is intended for experienced electricians who are experienced in testing - it seems a lot of centres are entering inexperienced candidates and the examiners suggest this in their reports as to a main reason to explain pass rates.
Yes over time, as you become more experienced, you start to remember things, but the key thing is to be able to know how to check, interpret and apply regulations. Having a book in a timed exam is no use at all unless you are very familiar with it and can use it quickly :)

The 2391-303 is an open book exam.

It is the written exam of the 2391-20 examination.

As far as i remember i was allowed BS7671 in unit 302 of the 2391-10 they didn't expect me to remember figures that could be looked up, eg Zs values. they expected me to be able to use the book and interpret it. Unit 301 is only closed book because the questions are considered to be every day tasks that are common in the workplace, and even then it will provide info that you would normally look up.

It is far more important that you can use and interpret these publications such as the OSG and BS7671 rather than try to remember them. I am sure that the regs books of the people you would call "more competent sparks" are very well thumbed. The 2391-10 is intended for experienced electricians who are experienced in testing - it seems a lot of centres are entering inexperienced candidates and the examiners suggest this in their reports as to a main reason to explain pass rates.
Yes over time, as you become more experienced, you start to remember things, but the key thing is to be able to know how to check, interpret and apply regulations. Having a book in a timed exam is no use at all unless you are very familiar with it and can use it quickly :)

You are rambling on about rubbish pushrod. We are talking about written exams being open/closed book and you bring practicle exams into it? what are you talking about.

The 2391 written is not open book. Never has been and never should be and that was my point. Its got a low pass rate because of this...because you need the technical knowledge in your head to pass it. Thats most likely the reason why people pass the 2330 302 and not the 2391-10, because there is no help from any source

You are rambling on about rubbish pushrod. We are talking about written exams being open/closed book and you bring practicle exams into it? what are you talking about.

The 2391 written is not open book. Never has been and never should be and that was my point. Its got a low pass rate because of this...because you need the technical knowledge in your head to pass it. Thats most likely the reason why people pass the 2330 302 and not the 2391-10, because there is no help from any source

Can never understand why people who pass 2391 get the god complex? Its just an exam
And I know a good few who have passed because they hit the books but can barely tie there shoelaces
A good way to tell If someone has 2391 is velcro instead of laces

Reply to 302 written, what books can i take in? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net