Discuss 3036 with RCD in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

K

kant

Can any one tell me if i need to put rcd on 3036 cu if I am just changing socket faces cause i was told i did?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: 1336 with rcd

I think you mean a CU with bs3036 fuses. In any case if you are only changing the faceplates that is considered a like for like replacement so no need to upgrade anything else on your installation

what if i have to replace socket boxes as well i was told by appoved nic guy that rcd was needed by law?

what if i have to replace socket boxes as well i was told by appoved nic guy that rcd was needed by law?

by law , oh my since when have the regs become law , the regulations are none statutory, all i would say is that its recomended that an RCD is in place . the ESC are trying to get every house hold protected by an RCD but as its existing then no , you need to provide a minor works cert as you may break the circuit and will need to be re tested once completed

One RCD covering the whole of the board as a main switch doesn't comply to 17th.. Does it?

And isn't the breaking capacity of 3036 1ka and my PFC is higher than this

replacement of face plates is not covered by 17th ed so rcd is irrelenant. suppliers fuse will back up breaking capacity so don't worry about it. don't forget to test circuit after changing plates and issue mwc.

If your supply fuse is a BS1361 and your installation is domestic single phase then you can use the s/c capacity of that device (16.5kA).

This was introduced to allow the UK continued use of BS3036 fuses which have breaking capacities of 1-4 kA.

im asking due to a PIR on this install.

cant identify the cut out rating and the tails look very small, from the cutout to the meter is 16mm, out the meter to CU looks smaller to me, poss 10mm..

also signs of overloading on lights, (cant see how though, only 5 pendants on the circuit)

and broken fuse carrier
and no cover on the front for the fuses

Attachments

• IMG_1398.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1397.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 46
I can't comment on the tails size from a photo.

The discolouring on the second white fuse carrier looks like 'flash' to me, from where a BS3036 has 'blown' on a fault.

They don't make 'em like that any more (thank god).

If your supply fuse is a BS1361 and your installation is domestic single phase then you can use the s/c capacity of that device (16.5kA).
not that its important for this post but i thought a 1361 was 33Ka

It is 33kA but the BS60439-3 UK annex only allows us to allow 16kA when used for this purpose.

The discolouring on the second white fuse carrier looks like 'flash' to me, from where a BS3036 has 'blown' on a fault.

That was my first thought but then noticed the customer had put 15a fuse wire in to replace the 5.

the tails had been doubled back in the terminals which is why i thought they were 10mm. could be one of the old dodgy size conductors.

Reply to 3036 with RCD in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net