Discuss 30a fused spur needed for welder in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

imran333

hi i live in uk and bought a 160a arc welder and itsays i need to connect it to 230v 30amp fused spur but all sockets at my house are 13amp 230v so how can i use welder and what socket do i need and how can i use it or make a 30a fused spur?

You will need to employ an electrician who will install the necessary circuit & switchgear after making sure it is safe & viable to do so.

You will need to employ an electrician who will install the necessary circuit & switchgear after making sure it is safe & viable to do so.
i have city and guilds electronic servicing and was wondering is there any way i can do it my self what parts do i need for circuit?

more info needed ie. where is welder going to be located ,have you a spare 30/32amp way spare in your consumer unit, distance from cu. to welder, how would cable routed,these are just the basics got to ask what are you going to weld with an ark welder in a domestic location

i have city and guilds electronic servicing and was wondering is there any way i can do it my self what parts do i need for circuit?
I definetly see this as a job for an expereinced electrician. We don't want to use the wrong cable or wrong connection and burn the house down, do we?

Plz seek the help of an electrician.

What make of welder & model is it please and we'll try from that angle.

Some of the instructions for the imported welders get a bit lost in translation. My own 135A MIG runs off a standard 13A socket. They might just mean a 30A (32A if MCB) circuit i.e. a ring. What does it say on the plate on the welder? Take & post a pic maybe?

lol i just started a thread about this lenny directed me here my old man has just bought one of these welders (mechanic)

from what i have been told the welder has a flex on it ready to connect into a 30A fused spur, he said all of his welders in the past have been on a 13A plug this one must be a bit hefty then.

like i said on my thread when i get more info ill post it up sounds the same as the OP

anyone know where i could get a 30A fused spur or any suggestion for equivalent device or suggestion about it.

I think if putting in a dedicated socket for the welder then I'd add a suitable breaker to the board and run again suitable sized twin and earth (or even armoured) to a 230V industrial socket outlet.

But this all depends on the welder amperage, length of run for the cable, how its fixed etc. More info and I'm sure all will help.

Last edited:
What make of welder & model is it please and we'll try from that angle.

Some of the instructions for the imported welders get a bit lost in translation. My own 135A MIG runs off a standard 13A socket. They might just mean a 30A (32A if MCB) circuit i.e. a ring. What does it say on the plate on the welder? Take & post a pic maybe?
it is powercraft 160 amp arc welder and it says it need 30 amp fused spur?

Yes saw those in Aldi and thought that they would be a major problem for any one buying one.
I do not know what they are thinking selling that item.
By the way I have a 160A MIG welder on a 13A plug.

I did not read all the instructions just the initial warnings on the box. Effectively as said above you need to run a separate supply direct from the CU in probably 6mm cable (depending on the installation method). You can terminate the cable at an industrial 32A socket or a suitably rated switch. Definitely requires an electrician to install to ensure the correct cable rating and protection for the cable and the equipment.

You are not going to get what is commonly known as a 30A fused spur.
In fact I agree with the other posts in that there may be something lost in the translation.
If it need supplying by a 30A/32A fused spur the all it needs is connecting via a cable direct into the nearest ring main or other 30/32A circuit via a spur.
However, it will be doubtful that this sort of connection will meet the requirements of BS7671, and thus it is doubtful that it will meet the requirements of any workplace H&S laws, workplace or domestic insurance policy requirements in this day and age.

We REALLY need more info.

Reply to 30a fused spur needed for welder in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net