Discuss 30mA RCD requirement? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all..

I have just been to quote for a bathroom extractor fan and a kitchen extractor fan. I was pretty sure I understood the RCD requirements but it gets a bit confusing sometimes!

The bathroom extractor will probably be 230V (could be ELV though) and all cables will be in trunking in the bathroom. Even though in trunking I think it still needs to be RCD protected as per Regulation 701.413.3.3, although that reg does specifically state 'Low' voltage so would ELV still require 30mA RCD protection? The fan will be outside of all zones.

The cable for the kitchen extractor fan will all be run in surface mounted trunking, so I dont think it has to be 30mA RCD protected?

It is a TT, has 100mA RCD and all bonding is in place and adequate.

I've checked through a good few threads but theres some conflicting ideas!

Cheers..

bathroom fan requires RCD if 230V. kitchen fan does not. if bath fan is coming off lighting, then RCBO that circuit.

my take is if it's LV in bathroom, irrespective of zones, then RCD is a must. however, if the fan is ELV and the LV supplying the step-down device is outside the room then i'd not insist on RCD.

I would agree that the regs and opinions are inconsistent, but my own rule is electric in a bathroom = RCD

I tend to agree Murdoch, I'm just looking for alternatives as its a rewirable fuse box with very little space by it for a stand alone RCD for the lighting circuit.

my take is if it's LV in bathroom, irrespective of zones, then RCD is a must. however, if the fan is ELV and the LV supplying the step-down device is outside the room then i'd not insist on RCD.

That would be the scenario if I used SELV, so I might well go for that.

Maybe a rcd fused spur outside the bathroom with a 3 amp fuse for the new work.

I did think of that, but it just looks a bit naff having an RCD fused spur located outside your bathroom... no real difference to a transformer though really!

Visually the Powerbreaker RCD spurs are ok to look at IMO. The tranny on the xpelair LV100 range is nicer to look at than the equivalent vent axia gear..fitted both recently and prefer the xpelair, again from an aesthetics angle.

The ELV fan would be a slightly cheaper option probably than a RCD and fan..

Evening all..

I have just been to quote for a bathroom extractor fan and a kitchen extractor fan. I was pretty sure I understood the RCD requirements but it gets a bit confusing sometimes!

The bathroom extractor will probably be 230V (could be ELV though) and all cables will be in trunking in the bathroom. Even though in trunking I think it still needs to be RCD protected as per Regulation 701.413.3.3, although that reg does specifically state 'Low' voltage so would ELV still require 30mA RCD protection? The fan will be outside of all zones.

The cable for the kitchen extractor fan will all be run in surface mounted trunking, so I dont think it has to be 30mA RCD protected?

It is a TT, has 100mA RCD and all bonding is in place and adequate.

I've checked through a good few threads but theres some conflicting ideas!

Cheers..

Why not replace the 100ma RCD with a 30ma RCD and give the whole distribution board 30ma protection? Then you've killed 12 birds with 1 stone =). Correct me if I'm missing the point here.

Why not replace the 100ma RCD with a 30ma RCD and give the whole distribution board 30ma protection? Then you've killed 12 birds with 1 stone =). Correct me if I'm missing the point here.

Not sure I'd replace a 100mA with a 30mA across an existing installation - by lowering the value of the RCD the likelyhood of tripping will increase significantly.

Good point and since it's an older install I won't argue that their will be an increased likelihood of nuisance tripping.

Actually think there is regs against one 30ma rcd protecting the whole install. My bad.

I don't like these old 3036 consumer units, make's everything more difficult. =)

I would defiantly recommend to the customer that they should upgrade the consumer unit. Especially if they have any more add-on's in mind for the future. A better option in the long run.

Last edited:

Reply to 30mA RCD requirement? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net