Discuss 32 Amp Cooker Circuit 13 Amp Cooker in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

markthespark

Hello i have just rewired a friends house i have installed a 32 Amp cooker circuit with a DP switch above the worktop and also a Cooker Connection Plate behind the cooker.

He is using his old Ceramic hard wired hob but has just bought a new cooker and its one of them that has a plug on the end.

My plan was to hard wire the Hob into the Cooker Connection Plate and also connect a 2.5mm cable into the plate and take it into a FCU in the cupboard to fuse down the new cooker.

How does this sound?

Many Thanks

could you not fit a single socket outlet next to the connection unit, in 6mm then no need for an FCU.

Hi mate thanks for the reply yeah i was thinking that but id rather have the FCU/Socket assessable in a cupboard rather than behind the cooker.

What about 6mm from the cooker plate into a FCU or socket in the cupboard?

Cheers

should be fine. as you're not reducing the CCC of the cable.it's protected by the 32A MCB. the fuse in the plug will protect it anyway against a fault on the cooker.

could you not fit a single socket outlet next to the connection unit, in 6mm then no need for an FCU.

I totally agree cutting the plug off is exposing the oven to a 32 amp protection where if you as telectrix says spur a 13 amp single socket off the cooker outlet unit you do 3 things 1 is the oven gets protection from the fuse fitted inside the plug top 2 if the oven developes a fault then it blows its own fuse leaving the hob to work and 3 the customer can replace the oven in the future without an electrician.

Doing it the way you suggested well I have been to 3 jobs done this way and all 3 had connection issues so when I always mention the above to the customer and they get it. I got a call back 6 months after I fitted the single socket and plug top and the customer reported that the oven popped its fuse on Friday night but that was ok because he still had his microwave and hobb he asked if i repaired ovens and I mentioned by the time he pays me to patch up a 8 year old oven he would be cheaper going out to get a new one and thats what he did

Last edited by a moderator:
If it comes with a flex and plug top, give it a socket. If something goes wrong with the appliance during the warranty period, a cut off plug top might be all the excuse needed for them not to replace it.

also, if it needs to come out for repair, then it's easier.

Yep you could do but now you have lost the fuse descrimination of the oven and lost the warranty to boot plus you now need an electrician to put a replacement oven in and if it was me then I would recommend a spurred 13 amp single socket ???????

Reply to 32 Amp Cooker Circuit 13 Amp Cooker in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net