Discuss 32A 3ph Plug with threaded conduit entry? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DenzilPenberthy

Hi all,

Does anyone know if anyone makes a 32A 3 phase plug that will attach to the end of flexible conduit? or... somewhere that does 6mm2 4 core H07 flex by the metre?

I've got a 10kW DC power supply to wire up. It's a 480v 3 phase unit bought off ebay. The people who've just bought it want to hook it up to 400v to see if it works (i.e. just see that the front panel lights up etc) before they commit to spending out for a 400 to 480 transformer.

My options for this are:

4 core flex to a 32A plug. I can't find anywhere that does 4core 6mm2 by the metre. I haven't got the budget for 100m drum! By my reading 4mm2 is just a bit below marginal for 32A? There's a local supplier to me that does 4 core 6mm2 SY by the metre but SY is a bit marginal on voltage rating at the best of times and I wouldn't feel comfortable using it on 480V

OR

6mm2 singles in flexible conduit to a 32A plug. Problem here is finding a 32A plug with a threaded entry that will accept a gland for flexi conduit.

Any thoughts?
Cheers!

Essential supplies or 10 out of 10 productions will almost certainly sell HO7RNF by the metre.
They are both entertainment industry suppliers so anything up to 50mm flex is a normal item.

Mega! They do indeed sell H07RNF by the metre so I think that's probably me sorted. for now at least until we look at ordering a transformer etc. My problem now becomes how to get my purchasing dept to let me order from them but that's a whole other issue :)

I'm still intrigued to know if anyone does 60309 plugs that attach to conduit. See it all the time with Harting plugs.

Before you go wasting money on a transformer check the actual supply voltage. If it’s 400V I’ll eat my hat.

The large DC supplies I’ve worked on there are various tappings to change the input voltage.

How would Sir like his hat cooked? :) Currently getting 224v single phase here in my workshop which should give 388v phase-phase. The manual for the power supply states 480v nominal but 432v minimum

We have our own substation in the basement. Presumably they've cranked the voltage down to save a few pennies on resistive loads...

How would Sir like his hat cooked? :) Currently getting 224v single phase here in my workshop which should give 388v phase-phase. The manual for the power supply states 480v nominal but 432v minimum

We have our own substation in the basement. Presumably they've cranked the voltage down to save a few pennies on resistive loads...

I should know better than say that, last time I arrived at work to find salt and pepper pots glued to my safety helmet.

I tried (was told to by the accountant) lowering our MV distribution voltage to give 400V on the LV side. To say it was a disaster would be an understatement. I soon put it back to where it was.
As you say it’ll save a few pence. But how much is the transformer going to cost?

I'd look at using someone else for the transformer, RS components are good for small items or if you need something fast, but I've found their prices to be higher than most other places.

That is, unless you get a decent discount with them.

Reply to 32A 3ph Plug with threaded conduit entry? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net