Discuss 3ph Heating Element in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

Telf

Hi guys,

I have a basic wiring test on Friday and I've been told one of the practical parts is wiring a 3ph heating element.

Does anyone have a basic diagram of how this should be done ??

TIA

Heres what it says.......

1) The candidate will connect a range of heating elements to a supply using industry best practice. The task will require the candidate to have a theoretical knowledge of three phase and good standards of workmanship. The task aims to establish if the candidate understands three phase wiring and wiring best practice.

first you need to know the voltage required by each element. if it's 230V, you connect them in star configuration. if it's 400V then you would connect as delta.

220px-The_basic_3-phase_configurations.svg.png

As this is for a test i'm assuming you have had coursework relevant to the subject so look through your coursework and express how you think it all should be done then we can tidy up the edges ...... asking on here without trying to give any solutions yourself will not aid you in your learning.... it may get you a pass but in the real world not knowing such things can be costly if not dangerous. So how do YOU! think you should do this now you have already been given help.... as your Q expresses 3ph we will assume 400v.

Very good point mate,

My main worry is how I wire between the element connections and the phases in delta.

If I say the connections at each element are.....
R1-R2 (first element)
R3-R4 (second element)
R5-R6 (third element)

L1---R1
R2---R3
L2---R4
R4---R5
L3---R6

Not had any dealings with 3ph since college and 8yr ago so don't laugh lol

A wrong phase connection & missing another connection!

Hint...Draw the 3 phases (elements) as a triangle :)

2nd edit...the answer is already on the thread (courtesy of Tel!)

This can get confusing quickly for newbies.... if it a duel voltage set-up then its the reverse of your post... Star 400v - Delta -230v that's why I asked for his draft on an answer to see what he's been taught, although i assume with his suggestion of 3ph we could rule out 230v.

what i meant was that assuming a 400V 3∅ supply, if each element required 230V then star. if each element required 400V (rare, i know) then delta.

I didn't read the whole thread yet but I think I'm at least as confused as the OP.
Ill edit it out probably not what he's been taught but i have used such element kits designed for European and American markets they connect delta we connect star. Like a duel voltage motor set-up.

Ahh, I'm with you now, it's not a very common set up

what i meant was that assuming a 400V 3∅ supply, if each element required 230V then star. if each element required 400V (rare, i know) then delta.
This is how I understood it.

Reply to 3ph Heating Element in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net