Discuss 3phase vehicle ramp in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

Lukethoma1985

Hi guys, hope your all well and enjoying the weekend. Just wondered if you give give me abit of your expertise.

Been asked to sort a few bodges out at this car recovery place. When i say bodge jobs, it mist have been hell of alot of DIY for the last 30 years. New owners have took it over.

What do you reckon would be the best wiring system to run to a vehicle ramp thats 2 metres from the wall. Currently the isolator is cable tied to a girder and then sy cable hooked on a shelf 2 metres away and then dangling to the ramp. He want the isolator moving to the back wall then cable clipped direct around the workshop corner to the ramp. The cable run will then need to go across and down to the ramp. The last electrician was going to use steel trunking but he kept messing the workshop ablout. I was think cable tray fixed from the wall so its in the verticle position goin horizontal to the ramp and the 90 degree bend down to the ramp fixing flush down the arm of the ramp. Using SWA. Would the cable tray be strong or would it flap about? Ive never used it before. What do you reckon?

Many thanks guys

personally without seeing the job i'd likely go steel conduit with possibly a bit of flexible included to allow for any movement in the pillar of the ramp.
The conduit will stand up to any impact damage better than an SWA

- - - Updated - - -

And trev beat me to it, i must learn to type faster

I'd probably be happy with it. Though as you point out the fixing distance is 1.75 metres according to table d3 in the osg.
Then again table d2 allows a 3 metre span for conduit used for overhead wiring.

I'd go with Unistrut possibly with capping as has been suggested & SWA or SY personally, last time I did tube was college, last job I had to do in tube I brought a subbie in it was quicker & cheaper!!!

Hi all, im really gratefull for all your replys. I forgot to get pics but will get some next week when i go back. I was thinking of conduit but the isolator will be a total run of roughly 10-15 odd metres away including all the bends to the ramp. The ramps in the corner of the workshop around 5 mtrs off the back wall where ill be mounting the isolator and 2 mtrs off the side wall. Currently theres sy cable to the ramp from the iso with a joint in wrapped in black tape. Are you thinking conduit from the iso around the wall then to the ramp in singles. Whats the unistrut system, just had a quick look and they do trays and channel struts. The trays was the kind of thong i was looking at and using swa clipped around. Its mostly swa used in the workshop here there and everywhere. The other ramps have got that swinging to them with no supports

Good lord above! Where did you learn your trade?
I served my apprenticeship at a little local domestic building company and still got taught SWA, steel conduit and trunking, MICC, cable tray and bodgeit conduit and trunking (plastic).

Nooo. Swa, sy, steel conduit, flexi conduit, plastic/steel trunking im ok with but conduit and unistrut, what i mean is how would you include both of these and at what point. Come on guys, sorry if i sound abit thick, i proberly am mind you, just a little explanation pleaseeee

I see, makes sense now.
Use unistrut to bridge the gap and fix the conduit to it.

Unistrut is just a time saving way of building your own metal supporting structures and bracketry.

Oooo i see now thanyou dave. Sorry if i sounded thick, i keep doing that (not explaining myself properly). I never attempt anything im unsure of but thought it only got to come 2 mtrs off the wall and wanted to see the best ways others do it. Like i say i was just thinking tray off the wall across, 90 degree bend down the arm of the ramp to the controls on the ramp but werent sure if it would be sturdy enough. The unistrut that uve said sounds the best system thoe. Thankyou guys

Reply to 3phase vehicle ramp in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net