Discuss 3rd assessment tomorrow, a fourth next year? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

F

FAA Greenie

So I'm wondering if I should put this in the pub to keep it between us or should I put it in the public forum to let everyone see.

I'll put it in here.......

In the three years I have been going I have a few observations.....

1. In that three years, I have seen no news reports of non part P scheme sparks being prosecuted for carrying out illegal or not notifying work.

2. I've been asked twice I think, if I am 'part P', none of those customers knew I should have a card or certificate.

3. I have seen nothing in the media to alert the general public that part P exists.

4. So it just costs me ÂŁ360 a year for a card that no one knows I should have or wants to see.

The only two reasons I will be renewing next year is because I do work for a kitchen company that insists on a copy of my part P cert and Public liability and likewise for a good builder I do work for. And fair play to them both to be honest.

Otherwise, what exactly would be the penalty for not bothering?

Its a question I shall be raising tomorrow, I'll let you know what the answer is......

I think this should be in the Arms.

I will continue to be registered, as I too have "partners" I work with and they promote the Part P stuff. Also around my way a lot of customers actually ask for it.

The thing I find interesting (or demoralising!) is that there are 251,000 electricians in the country and 39,000 self certification scheme members, whilst I can see that there could be perhaps 50% industry electricians who would not consider self certification what of the other 35%?
87,000 electricians can't be wrong?

2. I've been asked twice I think, if I am 'part P', none of those customers knew I should have a card or certificate.

Me neither!...

Card - JIB? or some schemes own version
Certificate.... Now you lost me!

The thing I find interesting (or demoralising!) is that there are 251,000 electricians in the country and 39,000 self certification scheme members, whilst I can see that there could be perhaps 50% industry electricians who would not consider self certification what of the other 35%?
87,000 electricians can't be wrong?

Don't for get that a company employing more than one spark is (normally) only included once as a self certification member.

We have 5 guys and are only listed once but we can still notify and do "Part P" work.

Personally I can't understand why anyone with the Gold SJIB/JIB card should ever need to be in a scheme, I suppose it's all down to the money making schemes, Gold SJIB/JIB card should give automatic scheme membership IMO as just an add on to the back of the card, it would be a bit like stating that " graded operatives " can also do a bit of "house bashing" lol

good idea by kas1 ^^^

if your competancy and experience has been assessed by the JIB , which is a most thorough process i might add , why the hell do i need to spend hundreds of pounds just to let a scheme assessor watch me fit a CU ?
i was fitting them 12 years before part p was invented , go figure ?
and why is the assessment every year ?
its not as if your skills are reduced by additional years of experience
1 initial assessment at the beginning , sure , no problem , but every year ?

the whole thing is bollox , no wonder it gets ignored on a massive scale.

as for raising public awareness on part p ? well you should ask where the nic spends its ÂŁÂŁÂŁtrillions , a small advert in pro elec magazine every month just doesnt cut it.

well thats my weekly part p rant over with ,
same time same place next week gents ?
:)

Last edited by a moderator:
part P !! I believe now u only need to notify new circuits! work in bathrooms! fuseboards! kitchens and gardens now removed from special locations!!! its always been a joke part P!!

If you get a copy of this months Professional Electrician the editors viewpoint column titled Ashes to Ashes is questioning if Part P is even relivent anymore as it has been reduced via the review.

Don't get me wrong the idea at the beginning was ok and I thought would lead to a license system for electricians instead the Schemies jumped in and ruined it under self interest . As the House of commons Part P enquiry said the Schemes have a clear conflict of interests or in other words they cannot be gamekeeper and poacher at the same time.

Somebody should have given the Schemies a copy of Hans Christian Anderson's The Golden Goose because that what they have done to our industry and trade screwing up PAT and I&T to basically a joke situation that see's customers with little or no faith in it at all they have also encouraged the flooding of the trade with Electrical Trainee who are doing jobs and coming on here with their smart phones because they have a problem and PAT tester who don't know what they are doing except they push a button and its either pass or fail yet they cannot even after years of doing it check out the fails or even put the right fuse in.

I was told once that I got mines because I swept the floor for 4 years no I said I spent 4 hard years plus exams then another 2 hard years improving to get approved status then have had to sit even more exams ie 15th 16th 17th I&T 2377 just to keep a hold of the Bl00dy thing

And every night I kiss it and then tuck it under the pillow :eek:)

I asked my assessor the same questions last year and his reply was that the "scam" doesn't make enough money out of Part P to pay for the advertising.
If they only assessed us every 2 years they could get rid of half the assessors and the money saved could pay for the advertising, simples !
Got my 4th assessment next month, another days loss of pay.

I asked my assessor the same questions last year and his reply was that the "scam" doesn't make enough money out of Part P to pay for the advertising.
If they only assessed us every 2 years they could get rid of half the assessors and the money saved could pay for the advertising, simples !
Got my 4th assessment next month, another days loss of pay.

Disagree. 2 yearly assessments but the money saved should be used to Police the situation and proactively follow up on reports of dodgy installations.

Reply to 3rd assessment tomorrow, a fourth next year? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net