Discuss 3rd party testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

O

ONIT

HI,
just to find out what others think about 3rd party testing,, ie i was ask to test a job for another spark, whos not part p or 2391, went to check job didnt feel right one or two things out so i walk away, its easy money but you are commetting your self to something half blind if you havent seen the installation.
They didnt want a pir they whanted EIC ALL replys welcome

I used to get a 3rd party to certify my work and pay £150 for the privilige. I knew my work was sound so it was easy money forthe testing spark.

HI,
just to find out what others think about 3rd party testing,, ie i was ask to test a job for another spark, whos not part p or 2391, went to check job didnt feel right one or two things out so i walk away, its easy money but you are commetting your self to something half blind if you havent seen the installation.
They didnt want a pir they whanted EIC ALL replys welcome
I MUST GET 6 PHONE CALLS A MONTH FROM POEPLE WHO HAVE HAD WORK DONE BY THE LOCAL BODGER OR BUILDER WANTING A PART P CERT I TELL THEM BO##OCKS SHOULD HAVE HAD IT DONE BY REGISTERED SPARK IN FIRST PLACE,BUT I NEED A CERT TO GET IT PASSED OFF DOUBLE BO##OCKS NOT MY PROBLEM.:mad: THEN YOU GET THE SPARK WHO KNOWS YOUR MATE ,I WAS TALKING TO SO AND SO AND HE SAID YOU WOULD PASS IT OFF FOR ME,YOU DONT NEED TO TEST IT I WILL BRING YOU THE RESULTS AND YOU CAN FILL THE CERT IN FROM THAT, I WILL GIVE YOU A DRINK:eek: TREBLE BO##OCKS WITH KNOBS ON F#CKING CHEEKY TWA#. POEPLE P#SS ME OFF BIGTIME THEY ALLWAYS LOOKING FOR LOOPHOLES,IF THEY WANT TO PASS WORK OFF THEY CAN JOIN A SCHEME LIKE I HAD TO.:mad:

Yes it could well be easy money, but do you want to take the chance that all is well with the installation & issue a EIC, for the sake of 150 notes I dont think its worth the risk.
Like you Paulm I too get numerous calls every week asking the same question, they all get the same reply "it's a periodic or nothing, should have got a part P reg'd sparks in the first place"

I did think about easy money, then like you sad if it gose ---- up its down to you and no one else, the 15th ed spark said it wasnt me, builders dont care hes got eic.

then your the one saying yes my lord how f**king long

ONIT

Other thing to remember it is YOUR name that is on the cert not the guy who has done the work so if something goes wrong who would be in the firing line:eek:

absolutely agree chaps - once your name goes on the cert, then its your job.

"well what do you expect me to do - rip it out and start again" says the guy with half finished extension, who's 'sparks' (i.e a bloke called Dave who his brother played football with) had done a runner when he was asked about Part P and certs

"no" says I, "I expect you to rip it out,and let ME do any work that you expect me to sign for"

'kin chancers - I love the way they always think it is OUR responsibility to get them out of the hole they have got into.

Surely this is what the 3 signature cert is for, you only sign the inspection part and the other parties sign for the design and installation.
Obviously you should only do it for people you know and can trust their workmanship, and not for just anyone who phones and asks.
Serously, how different is it from a large firm sending a sparks out to install then another one to test or a non part p spark doing the job after notifying the local authority and then them sending someone in to test?
I must stress though, i would only do it for someone i knew who's work i could trust.

Surely this is what the 3 signature cert is for, you only sign the inspection part and the other parties sign for the design and installation.
Obviously you should only do it for people you know and can trust their workmanship, and not for just anyone who phones and asks.
Serously, how different is it from a large firm sending a sparks out to install then another one to test or a non part p spark doing the job after notifying the local authority and then them sending someone in to test?
I must stress though, i would only do it for someone i knew who's work i could trust.

And what do you do when they refuse to sign:rolleyes:

Threaten them, your going to break their legs if they don't:eek:

I would check on it first but I think you will find that under NICEIC rules and other competant schemes you cannot certificate another persons work if it is not done by your company on a EIC.

And what do you do when they refuse to sign:rolleyes:

Threaten them, your going to break their legs if they don't:eek:

I would check on it first but I think you will find that under NICEIC rules and other competant schemes you cannot certificate another persons work if it is not done by your company on a EIC.

I worked in a company which were doing the main electrical work in a block of flats (172 units), the investor appointed another independent company to do testing and sign certificates to make sure installation was done properly and any possible faults were not covered by ourselves. They did not know any of us (about 25 electricians) but yet they did issue the certificates for all of the flats. (I know this is completely different from a roofer who claims he could wire the whole house, but only wants you to tell him where to use 1,5 and where 2,5) , but you have to agree that in certain circumstances this could be another part of your job and if you get the testing right and sign the certificates properly you won't necessarily get killed.
Take the doctors for instance, sometimes they issue a bad diagnose and the patient dies yet they don't take any responsibility for that (that actually may not be a good example)

I don't think you can trust anybody these days, even your best mate may get something wrong which could proof fatal (we are all human beings), this part P has made everything more difficult for the cowboys, but it also has made it more difficult for newcomers (and we all know we need them, who is going to work for our pensions?) It does make it difficult for anyone to get a job if you're not NIC reg. My company is ECA registered and it does take me a while sometimes to explain to the customer that they'll get their certificates at the end ("because my architect said NIC not ECA or whatever").
I am not talking about a bricklayer hooking up a cu, but there are pretty good sparkies sometimes out there who need to get them registered, but have nothing to show (I suffered a little bit with that as well)

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to 3rd party testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock