Discuss 4 10kw showers in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

jordanp31

Hi, iv just been asked to price a changing room with 4 10kw showers, lighting and power circuits and need some advice as normally do domestic work! What size armored would you use for a sub mains to be taken off an existing 3 phase supply at a length of 15m and would this cable need to be RCD protected?? 20a radial would be sufficient for power and a 6a lighting circuit.

i know its abit brief but any help would be appreciated!

arte these showers alreadt connected orf is it part of your work

No this will be a new installation of 4 showers, a 20a radial and a 6a lighting circuit which will need to be fed from a submain in a new built changing room. There is a 3 phase supply which i can feed the sub from but would need to know what size armored i should use.

I take it other methods of water heating/storage have been discussed, four 10KW showers may not be the most energy efficient way of providing hot water, also can we assume been a changing room we can omit diversity here as it will possibly have all showers constantly running possibly up to an hour when the changing rooms are in use?
You give little info ...install methods; regardless of not been in your normal comfort zone the same calcs still apply.

so, you will have a 3 phase sub main balance the load as best you can. as all showers may be on at the same time, you need to allow for virtually the whole 160A. there's no guidance as far as i know for diversity in a case like this.

Also what is the demand per phase existing, what is the KVA allowance from the supplier, what service fuse sizes are fitted.... its kinda a little bit more complicated than throwing a circuit in a house where rule of thumb can be assumed that incoming is sufficiently sized.

Sorry folks I'm open to all advice! I know i haven't given much info on existing supply etc as I haven't looked at the job yet. I thought 4 10kw showers were a strange way of providing hot water in a changing room that could possibly be used for most of the day but this was the spec the builder mentioned on the phone. Has anyone worked on a similar installation that could suggest other methods o heating the water for this installation? I'm only really familiar whith a S/Y plan, immersion heater and combi boiler systems!

Changing rooms with showers on most the day or just accessible with after match use of hot water... what are the changing rooms serving here?

Last edited:
Why 10KW showers, why not 8.5KW units, not that it makes much of a difference!! lol!! Sounds to me like this installation would be far better served via an electric boiler/immersion heater through a pump (if no other energy source is available) rather than multiple separate showers!!

I think that when you tell them the price based on what you have said, they'll want to look at alternative methods.
Also, totally agree with Biff...No way you can run 4 electric showers at the same time from normal mains pressure.

Id get back to the builder and tell him, what he want's can't be provided and that he needs to change his thinking as to how to supply these 4 shower cubicles with hot water...

solution is obvious........ cold showers, ssimplesss.

I would suggest liaising with a plumbing Engineer and have a site meeting with the clients and/or foreman if there is one, if this as you imply has already designed then query whether supply demand, availability etc has already been confirmed and if not highlight your concerns and ask for a site meeting with all relevant people... also find out average daily/weekly use and have ready a projected energy cost to run these showers, if as you say they be in use most of the day then this could be a big cost although i find it hard to believe they would be in use that much ...only the like of swimming pools on weekends see a constant flow of traffic through the showers.

Place I know had four showers available all day, Rimini boiler fed from large bottles as remote from main building to large storage tank heated then power pump to four down pipes with concusion shower taps. Ran well

Reply to 4 10kw showers in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock