Discuss 4 blown LED GU10s in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

TopDMC

-
Reaction score
My daughter switched her bathroom lights on yesterday and the bathroom remained in darkness.

I went over to have a look just now, assuming a fuse; but not the case. All four had blown together!
Fittings are 4 x Aurora GU10 IP65 Fire Rated Bathroom LED Downlights
Bulbs are FEIT BPGU10/DM/LED/2/UK - 6W 220-240VAC 50HZ 45MA 400 Lumens
They were installed January 2016 when she had her bathroom completely renovated.

I am pretty sure that the GU10s were from Costco, so no worries about getting them replaced free of charge; but my concerns are obviously if there is a flaw in the fitting, or design.

Thanks for any suggestions

Very odd if 4 bulbs have all failed at the same time. I would be suspecting a voltage surge maybe? What happened when you replaced them?
Daz

I also assumed that it was a surge; but would have thought that it would trip the upstairs lighting circuit at the fuse board. That being the case, why did it not trip the RCD. My concerns are for my family, I need to know the house is safe.

In answer to your question as to what happened when I replaced them....
I replaced the one closest to the light switch in case it prevented the power continuing to the others and it lit; but the others remained off. I then systematically replaced each of the others in turn and tested after each replacement.

Now all working; but important in my mind to understand why, so as it can be prevented in the future.

I have a stock of bulbs that I bought from Costco recently, as they had a promotion.
4 bulbs for £5.20 plus VAT

They are the same make; but a different model
Bulbs are FEIT BPGU10/DM/LED/4/UK - 6W 220-240VAC 50/60HZ 45MA 500 Lumens

If there is a fault on these, Costco will take them back irrespective of how long ago.

Very odd if 4 bulbs have all failed at the same time. I would be suspecting a voltage surge maybe? What happened when you replaced them?
Daz
You'd think that kind of surge would cause damage to other circuits.

Reply to 4 blown LED GU10s in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock