Discuss 4 Way C/U change...price? type? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Dave 85

Had a guy just ring up saying his old fuse board is melting. Its only 4 way, small house I guess, he's actually already sold the house so not particularly keen on shelling out ££££££'s on an upgrade but I said its the only option.
I'm inclined to go with an RCBO board, just wondered what kinda price I should charge him. I usually use a split load 10 way and charge £350
but seems pointless on 4 circs. The thing is, I reckon a decent 5/6 way RCBO board with 4 breakers (I prefer the wylex metal clads, they are taller) will set me back more than a 10 way split load. Cant get a price today obviously, its sunday. Any ideas what I should charge? I've said approx £280 but think maybe a bit more....

I'd be happy with £280 for a 4 way rcbo board. Double check that its only four circuits as i've found with re-wireable fuses one fuse can power several additions which could be why its melting! Don't undersell yourself though as the wiring could be knackered and could need replacing.

First of all the customer says its melting! It's melting for a reason, over loaded at a guess so don't presume that you only need 4 circuits on the new cu. It most probably has up and down lights on one circuit, the same for the socket circuit, one for cooker and one for the shower. Of course you will separate the lighting and socket circuits so therefore you've got a min of 6 circuits already.

Best to go around in the morning and see what's going on, customers are not very good at giving information over a phone, lol.

Im gonna get a 6(ish) way board anyway. Its well outta my area, so Im not going twice. I would imagine its melting because there's a loose connection not because its overloaded. I might tell him if there are more than 4 circuits inside its £25 per circuit extra.....
A good point though

If it's only got four circuits that installation is pretty old, perhaps pre '66. Might not have cpc's in lighting circuits or main bonding (never mind correct size.) You need to periodic first or at least look at job first to find out what you're dealing with.

This sounds like a "can of worms" job just going by the op.

Dave, come back and tell us after you've done the job, hopefully its straight forward.

4 fuses might equate to 8 circuits lol.
Never give a price on the phone till you've had a poke around on site.

"Fusebox melting but not keen on spending for a replacement"

Exactly how else is this going to be fixed without replacing ? lol , you gotta love the public.
Letting the house burn down after you've just sold it is clearly a better option lol.

I tested a whole street of 3 bed houses that were rewired in 2005ish, all had 4 circuits, Cooker, sockets, lights up. and lights down. Other then having only one ring they were flawless properties, and I&T dream!

I tested a whole street of 3 bed houses that were rewired in 2005ish, all had 4 circuits, Cooker, sockets, lights up. and lights down. Other then having only one ring they were flawless properties, and I&T dream!

I assume that anybody doing a cu change now a days would separate up and down stairs circuits or is it just me?

If you were just testing that's fine but the op doing a cu change with only four circuits = trouble ahead unless its viewed first. I learnt that lesson a while back, never again.

BTW to the op, I'd charge £300 + any extra work.

I assume that anybody doing a cu change now a days would separate up and down stairs circuits or is it just me?

If you were just testing that's fine but the op doing a cu change with only four circuits = trouble ahead unless its viewed first. I learnt that lesson a while back, never again.

Well if theres only 1 lighting feed at the CU then splitting it into separate up and down circuits can be a fair bit of work.

Not just fuseboard changes, they were fully re-wired in brown and blue, 12way units with 3 non -rcd and 1 rcd circuits... and a shed load of blanks.
Imagine it was the cheapest possible rewires! Having said that they all had crabtree gear etc.

Well if theres only 1 lighting feed at the CU then splitting it into separate up and down circuits can be a fair bit of work.

Don't make the rules, I just follow them. Only if the customer wants to pay for the rules being met, and then it can become a much higher cost that they don't want to pay.

Don't make the rules, I just follow them. Only if the customer wants to pay for the rules being met, and then it can become a much higher cost that they don't want to pay.

Dont understand , what rules arent being met by having just one lighting circuit in a property ?

I have done dozens of CU changes before lads, I know what I'm in for, fact is, its gotta be done and Im not driving there twice, I dont have time. The guys dad is quite a good client of mine. I'm tempted to do what Biff says and stick a single RCD board in but its a bit of a crap job.
The client didn't actually say he didn't wanna spend a loada money but it was kinda obvious.
I very much doubt there'll be 8 circuits in there but we shall see.

Dont understand , what rules arent being met by having just one lighting circuit in a property ?

A:- Segregation of circuits.

Keeping the upstairs and downstairs lights and socket circuits on their own mcb to avoid nuisance obstacles whilst trying to get to the cu to flip a switch.

If theres only one lighting circuit then thats the way its staying. I assume this will be the case if there is only 4 fuses. I'm not for trying to force people into major remedial work for something that is not an electrical safety issue. I'll just put a recommendation on the cert.

Sector do a 5 way metal one (nice and tall) for RCBO's and that with 4 RCBO's would set you back about £150 inc VAT. Not cheap but nice and easy to work with

I know what you're saying mate, but unless you test the place first how do you know what you're going to be energising? If I was a customer who had been told one price I'd be annoyed if you tried to change the price once on site, if you discover other non compliances. (Obviously you would repair)

As for one rcd? Not really an option.

A:- Segregation of circuits.

Keeping the upstairs and downstairs lights and socket circuits on their own mcb to avoid nuisance obstacles whilst trying to get to the cu to flip a switch.

But you're not installing new circuits , you're just replacing the fusebox , so you can only reconnect the circuits as you find them -
Theres no obligation to part rewire or alter anything ?

Reply to 4 Way C/U change...price? type? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net