Discuss 4 way switch replacement issues in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

joshalan

DIY
Reaction score
Good morning!

Replaced a 4 way switch yesterday and everything seemed fine. Around 3am this morning, the breaker tripped on that circuit. Resetting the breaker did not work, just tripped each time. I took apart the 4 way switch this morning and disconnected the wiring and reset the breaker temporarily, no issue, nothing tripped. Any ideas?

Not sure if the installation of this 4 way is standard but from the pictures you can see the black wires are twisted together ( was like this before replacing the switch ) and the red and red/white wires are connecting to the switch. The switch installation is your standard setup, (1) 3 way switch down stairs, (2) 4 way switch in the hallway upstairs and (3) another 3 way switch upstairs, same hallway. Downstairs, the black wire connects to the first 3 way switch and upstairs it's twisted together ( as seen in the picture - this is the 4 way switch ) and the black wire then reconnects to the (3) switch.

Curious, on the 4 way switch are the red and red/white wires just travelers, if so, how would these red and red/white wires be installed? Would it be the two red and red/white wires coming into the 4 way switch box connect to the brass screws and the two outgoing red and red/white wires connect to the black screws? Fyi, the ground wire was connected as well the entire time.

4 way switch replacement issues 156349043_746502372662570_7652517474877733403_n - EletriciansForums.net4 way switch replacement issues 155519704_782561822364666_4629508923505966024_n - EletriciansForums.net

The four way switch is what we call "intermediate" but the principle is the same. Yes the wires at that switch are travelers so even if connected incorrectly should not cause tripping issues. Does it trip with the switch connected and the switch not secured to the back box. Not very clear but is the ground connected to the green ground terminal.

The four way switch is what we call "intermediate" but the principle is the same. Yes the wires at that switch are travelers so even if connected incorrectly should not cause tripping issues. Does it trip with the switch connected and the switch not secured to the back box. Not very clear but is the ground connected to the green ground terminal.
Great question. I ended up pulling the switch from the box AND disconnecting the wires this morning before resetting the breaker, I should've tested what you just said but it was early and well, wasn't thinking clearly. Yes, the ground was connected securely to the ground terminal. Thing is, I wired it all up yesterday and the the switches were used off and on during the day, no issues. No activity was going on around 3am, lights off, not much plugged into that circuit really yet poof, breaker trips. Ah, crap, I did replace an electrical receptacle and another switch on that same circuit. Total fog this morning. Could one of those have caused it?

It is possible something else caused it. Check none of the wires are damaged and shorting to the grounded back boxes.

Must've been the 4 way switch and how the wiring was packed backed into the box. Refolded the wiring behind the switch and screwed everything in place. Haven't not had any issues in over 24 hours at this point.

Reply to 4 way switch replacement issues in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock