Discuss 40A Flow Switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am looking for a water flow sensor/switch to turn on a 11.5Kw shower.

The flow sensor/switch must be capable of handling 40A for a period of upto 2 hours of use.

Does anyone know of such a thing if one exists?

Hi everyone

I am looking for a water flow sensor/switch to turn on a 11.5Kw shower.

The flow sensor/switch must be capable of handling 40A for a period of upto 2 hours of use.

Does anyone know of such a thing if one exists?

Think you will find that showers are not designed to run for this length of time.

I should of explained in the op.

the issue is this property is using a 5L (under sink) hot water tank to fill a bath, sinks, shower (non electric). The current tenants won't use the shower!

they have asked me to find away of filling the bath with hot water, I have looked at demand hot water heaters but can't find anything suitable.
I think the 2hrs was an over guess but could happen as tenant has been known to leave hot water tap on for hours.

has anyone else got any other ideas?

So basically you need instantaneous hot water heated by electricity in a sufficient quantity to fill a bath before the first water goes cold?

I hope this property has 3 phase.

the issue is this property is using a 5L (under sink) hot water tank to fill a bath, sinks, shower (non electric). The current tenants won't use the shower!

they have asked me to find away of filling the bath with hot water, I have looked at demand hot water heaters but can't find anything suitable.
I think the 2hrs was an over guess but could happen as tenant has been known to leave hot water tap on for hours.

What wrong with an old fashioned hot water tank with an immersion heater?

Can they not use the "Public Baths" sorry just thought I was back in the 19340/50s or go to the local swimming pool a couple of times a week

The current tenant has learning difficulties (didn't want to go down this route) and refuses to use the hot water mixer shower!

this is the same reason way they sometimes leave the hot water running!
most if the time the carer runs the bath.

I be very careful for liability purposes if you alter an appliance in order to make it operate in a way that it was not specifically designed and supplied to do so you will end up in court if something goes wrong.

In answer to your question I've never seen a 40A flow switch. We regularly use Johnson controls flow switches but the largest AC3 current capability is 16A as far as I know. Chances are if you do find a 40A flow switch it's going to be pretty large so I'd also suggest using a small flow switch together with a contactor.

Can you not have an instantaneous hot water system and install a cut off timer so that it can only run for x minutes before it stops, I.e. enough time to run a bath. These can go up to about 8kw which shoudl have enough capacity if they have an attached tank.
If it is stopped and switched back on the timer resets, then if there is a problem the tenant is doing it deliberately.

Reply to 40A Flow Switch in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock