Discuss 40A single phase contactor + timer motor control in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
need some advice really

bee asked to wire in a timer to a swimming pool heater as it is on constant run, which I explained is how they are supposed to run.

does anyone know of a single phase 230v contactor of AV-3 type I can use with a simple manual clock timer switch, or suggest any other ideas of how i may wire it. im pretty sure I cant just use2 poles of a 3pole contactor!?

currently someone has wired it direct to a type c 32A breaker, the equipment label requires a 40A beaker in any case.

What are you controlling exactly here - the pump or heater, your heading and opening post conflict unless you mean powering the pump and heating system through a timer together, if the latter then a existing wiring set-up may be needed to advice on this.

Depending on their pool use ..warming the water from cold may not be economical as oppose to topping the temp up, pipe lagging , insulating lined pool and pool cover can be economical but again subject to usage and needs, I would discuss with the eisting controls manufacturer to see if any issues may arise from their plans, not been involved with pools myself I would be questioning whether the circulation is required 24/7 for other reasons too regardless of heating been on!

Other may have valid input where I can't provide such.

You can't just stick a timer on such a system the heat/pump unit is also doing other key task like circulating water for filtration an and you will require a unit with smart control if this hasn't already got it ...this allows timer setting but also maintains the filtration of the pool and frost protection.

I skimmed this in the instructions in 2mins and never fitted one before - please read the full installation and user instructions before making any kind of timer system.

file:///C:/Users/Graham/Downloads/waterco-installation-manual.pdf

as I said I was after some advice, and going by what my customer wants, who I believe understands his system more than I do. he suggested a contactor which would indeed do what 'he' wants to do.

If you don't understand the system or its requirements do not adapt it is my advice, your actions could lead to costly maintenance , filtration issues, frost damage, chlorine level issues ...unless your customer is a pool engineer explain you can't do it, don't let the cart lead the horse here...

I'm personally not in a position to advice how to do this nor would I try, I would seek advice off the manufacturers to see if your set-up can be adapted as such but if not the smart model with integral timer then I have my doubts.

You seem to be an Electrician stepping into making alterations to a designed automated pool heating, filtration and protection system, this is well out of your scope of experience and training and unless the installation manuals express this option and how to integrate you really want to keep away... yes I understand you came on for advice and thats mine... 'Don't get involved unless your willing to do alot of research and liaising with the manufacturer'

Last edited:
now ive had a more thorough read of the destructions I see your point, I think he may be thinking he can just turn into a energy 'smart' model and is regretting his purchase now he has leccy bill. ill have another look at the unit and s=discuss with him. I do appreciate the advice.

Feel free to use the thank button...:) it adds to my tally

You didn't help me DW but have one on me!, shallow as a puddle :biggrin5:

im pretty sure I cant just use2 poles of a 3pole contactor!?

I think you're getting confused with a starter fitted with an overload that has singlephasing prevention. In that case, leaving one pole unused* will cause it to trip, as it sees an imbalance. But the contactor is just a beefed-up relay, you can use as much or as little of it as you like.

*The solution to this one is to feed the line through two poles in series.

Reply to 40A single phase contactor + timer motor control in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock