Discuss 40amp rcd in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to this. Currently a 2nd year adult trainee.

My question is, my parents have just moved into a new property and had an eicr and gas safety cert done.

The eicr flagged up two c2s.

* gas meter not bonded.

* shower consumer unit has a 40amp 30ma rcd with a 50amp mcb.

The shower is a mira 9.8kw and the run is no longer than 8m.

Whats the easiest way to sort the 2nd c2.

Thanks

My question is, my parents have just moved into a new property and had an eicr and gas safety cert done.

* gas meter not bonded.

Thanks
Get the rcd replaced with a 63A or above

Just to explain….

The 50A mcb is the over current device. It is designed to trip out if the current is too high.
The 40A stated on the rcd is just the rated current of the device. It will not trip out on over current, just hotter and hotter until it fails spectacularly.

As above, the 40 needs uprated to be more than the 50.

On a personal note… how’s Selkirk with this wet weather? I hear Hawick has it bad again.
I’m over the east borders…. A few big puddles on the roads.

* gas meter not bonded.

Thanks

9.8kw is equal to 42.6 amps so the mcb could be lowered to 45 amps but assuming the cable is of the correct size taking into account its reference method you would still need to upgrade the rcd..

Is it a split load board or just an older board with 50A mcb then to the RCD? If its a split load board you might need a 100A RCD depending on other circuits on that RCD, this is presuming you don't know the cutout rating of the fuse..

Reply to 40amp rcd in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock