Discuss 40m External shed / summer house electric supply help required in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

mallen282

Hi All, sorry to post a simple question but I'm struggling to get a local electrician to help / advise.

Background: I'm wanting to run a power supply to my new garden room which is approx. 40 metres from a potential power supply in my garage. The garage has a typical basic dres RCD fuse type box with 63A main switch and a 10A & 15A pull out fuses (similar to a large plug fuse) for the lights and plug sockets in the garage! The cable from the house main fuse box doesn't look very large - possibly 4mm (white)? and is SEEMINGLY connected into one of the houses 3 socket ring mains via a 32A Circuit breaker on the main board!!:confused:

Question: I'm wanting to know if I can take a power supply from the garage supply to run an external armoured cable (40m) to said garden room down the garden? I would need to power some form of heater in the garden room (worst case 3kw fan heater) + Computer, TV and obvious lighting... Therefor, I need some advice on:-

1. Will the supply cable to my current garage unit be man enough?
2. What cable do I need to run the 40 metres to the garden room - 6mm SWA?
3. Can the external cable be SWA and mounted exposed along my wooded fence?
4. Would I need to change the consumer unit in the garage??
5. Could I use the old dress unit (currently in the garage) for the new garden room?

Many many thanks for any help / advice.... I've spent all evening searching the WWW and have seen so much conflicting info.!!

Rgds, Mark @ Aswell Water Softeners

prob either upgrade garage supply or new sub-main for summer house(around 25/32amp)

what's the distance from garage board to house consumer unit?

Last edited by a moderator:
Garage board to House consumer unit is only approx. 4 - 5 metres as the crow flies. but looking at the options to come direct from the main consumer board !!! The hassle factor is significant either way!! Thanks for your help....

Hi All, sorry to post a simple question but I'm struggling to get a local electrician to help / advise.

Background: I'm wanting to run a power supply to my new garden room which is approx. 40 metres from a potential power supply in my garage. The garage has a typical basic dres RCD fuse type box with 63A main switch and a 10A & 15A pull out fuses (similar to a large plug fuse) for the lights and plug sockets in the garage! The cable from the house main fuse box doesn't look very large - possibly 4mm (white)? and is SEEMINGLY connected into one of the houses 3 socket ring mains via a 32A Circuit breaker on the main board!!:confused:

Question: I'm wanting to know if I can take a power supply from the garage supply to run an external armoured cable (40m) to said garden room down the garden? I would need to power some form of heater in the garden room (worst case 3kw fan heater) + Computer, TV and obvious lighting... Therefor, I need some advice on:-

Not by the sounds of it, no.
6 or 10 should be sufficient for the load you have stated, VD may be the main factor in selecting.
As long as it's not in a position where it's going to get lawn mowered or strimmered and adequately supported.
Not neccessarily, could you not leave the arage CU alone and add a new circuit into the house CU???
5. Could I use the old dress unit (currently in the garage) for the new garden room?
Probably not as the unit you describe is quite old and without RCD protection by the sound of it.

Many many thanks for any help / advice.... I've spent all evening searching the WWW and have seen so much conflicting info.!!

In blue.

just a note mark, this will need to be installed, inspected and tested by a qualified electrician, and your local authority will have to be notified, or else you will be liable to prosecution under Part P of the building regulations.

Not supprised. Why would anyone give help and advice for you to do the work yourself:confused:

Thanks all for your input and advice - NOT all tradesmen are totally legit or competent so to be safe I like to be totally sure before I start getting quotes to do the work....

I may be thick but I ain't stupid - there is a difference ;) I have three young children in my house.... why on earth would I try and do the electrics myself :confused: As I understand the rules I can purchase all the neccessary parts but get them fitted by a part P qualified & registered electrician.... I'm sure that I can even add in spurs and things myself if I really wished but I would NEVER take a risk or not get a professional in to check or do a proper job. Last time I did that the garage ring (lights and sockets) was wired into the nearest house socket - refer to the thread if you're still interested!!!!

I really think that these forums are an excellent resource and help avoid greedy tradesmen overcharging someone that has done a little research...........

Now I'm just about to go and fix my gas fire :D

Re Lenny's blue reply, "as long as it's not lawnmowered..." I thought attaching live cables to a fence was a no-no? I hope I'm wrong there because my shed is at the end of a concreted turning bay behind my garage. Excavation would be some problem! It isn't even a wooden fence, just post and horizontal wires with plastic mesh fencing attached. I'd thought maybe a brick wall would be OK with suitable conduit attached or buried within the wall.

Anticipated load would be no more than lighting and occasional power tools. A cable reel meets my occasional need for power tool supply but hanging up an electric light is not very satisfactory.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Bob

Hi
You would need at least a 6mm size cable suitable for outside and you would need to come off a higher mcb at the house.
Then a consumer unit that complys with the current regs.
I'm not posting too much info as in my opinion a qualified spark shoul undertake the work as there are regulations that you have to work too ie size type of cable the right method of installing it and the correct size overload protection which a sparky will work out for you.
The final and most important factor is testing it and certifying it as there are some other factors like bonding IP coding that you might not understand mate.
Hope this helps
Wicksy

Hi
You would need at least a 6mm size cable suitable for outside and you would need to come off a higher mcb at the house.
Then a consumer unit that complys with the current regs.
I'm not posting too much info as in my opinion a qualified spark shoul undertake the work... (SNIP)
The final and most important factor is testing it and certifying it as there are some other factors like bonding IP coding that you might not understand mate.
Hope this helps
Wicksy

Thanks, Wicksy, I wasn't proposing to do it myself, more a case of understanding the practical implications, ie where and how could the wire be routed and its effect on the house/garage/garden etc. I wouldn't want to waste someone's time giving me a quote only for me to turn round and say 'I don't want it there' or something. Guess I'll need to find a professional and tell him of any such concerns before he comes out to take a look.

Sorry to barge in on someone else's thread but his sounded a similar case. Thanks again.

Bob

By the looks of the questions your asking, you don't have a great knowledge of the regs (" what cable should I need"). what is the earthing arrangement of the house TNCS - TNS - TT. If it's TNCS you cannot export the earth to the "garden room" and therefore will be looking at a TT set up incorporating rcd's and earth rods etc, which will then need discrimination with existing rcd's to be taken into account. It is not as straight forward as you think , given the state of the existing installation (as you have explained) and the information that is missing to make an evaluation of the required works (main bonds to water and gas in place? - if connected obviously).

As already stated this work also falls under part P.

I appreciate that you want too keep your costs down and have a go yourself but I really think you should seek a profesional to do this, you could endanger your self and others. I really don't think you have the correct skills and experience for this ammunt of work.

Reply to 40m External shed / summer house electric supply help required in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net