Discuss 415v 3 phase sockets and rcd protection. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

He is explaining himself poorly but I am actually with Charlie here.

If ever there was a socket to be risk assessed out of requiring an RCD then it is this.

1. The 3 phase socket is only going to be used for one item of equipment.

2. The socket can be labelled so that it is clear only this equipment can be used with it. No other equipment can be used.

3. It could be added that the appliance will be tested annually to confirm it is safe for continued use.

4. The socket is not near an external door so that temptation to use it for external portable appliances is not there.

All these questions would form a part of the risk assessment to negate the need for a RCD protecting the socket.

I have assessed out RCDs a few times.

If ever there was a socket to be risk assessed out of requiring an RCD then it is this.

2. The socket can be labelled so that it is clear only this equipment can be used with it. No other equipment can be used.

3. It could be added that the appliance will be tested annually to confirm it is safe for continued use.

4. The socket is not near an external door so that temptation to use it for external portable appliances is not there.

All these questions would form a part of the risk assessment to negate the need for a RCD protecting the socket.

Thank you for that input!
I’m guilty of not going into things in too much detail as in my head I know what’s right and automatically think others do.. cheers Essex

Omitting RCD protection for stationary equipment that will only ever be unplugged for replacement or servicing by skilled/competent persons is one thing.
Omitting RCD protection for equipment that will routinely be unplugged for cleaning by ordinary persons is another.

I honestly think that if you were willing to sign a Risk Assessment stating RCD protection is not required in this instance, you would be considered incompetent or a fraudster in a court of law.

Once that piece of stationary equipment is unplugged it is isolated from the supply..
That instructed person will only ever plug that same piece of stationary equipment back into that same socket..

Once that piece of stationary equipment is unplugged it is isolated from the supply..
That instructed person will only ever plug that same piece of stationary equipment back into that same socket..
How can you guarantee that the person unplugging the equipment will be instructed?
How can you guarantee that the equipment will always be plugged back into the same socket-outlet?
What difference would it make whether the equipment is or isn’t plugged back into the same socket anyway?

How can you guarantee that the person unplugging the equipment will be instructed?
How can you guarantee that the equipment will always be plugged back into the same socket-outlet?
What difference would it make whether the equipment is or isn’t plugged back into the same socket anyway?
Because it through the risk assessment is a controlled environment..
All equipment and associated sockets will be labeled as per regulations..
And as you say it won’t matter, as long as it is all designed and implemented correctly

Omitting RCD protection for stationary equipment that will only ever be unplugged for replacement or servicing by skilled/competent persons is one thing.
Omitting RCD protection for equipment that will routinely be unplugged for cleaning by ordinary persons is another.

I honestly think that if you were willing to sign a Risk Assessment stating RCD protection is not required in this instance, you would be considered incompetent or a fraudster in a court of law.

That is quite simply a ridiculous comment.

Since when was unplugging something something that needed to be done by someone skilled?

Because it through the risk assessment is a controlled environment..
All equipment and associated sockets will be labeled as per regulations..
And as you say it won’t matter, as long as it is all designed and implemented correctly
The exception for skilled and instructed persons using socket-outlets has been removed.
Again the exception for specifically labelled or otherwise suitably identified socket-outlets has been removed.
Both of the exceptions were removed in 2015 amendment 3 of the 17th edition.

Producing a Risk Assessment that relies on outdated and non-compliant exceptions, would not to my mind be acceptable.

What I’m asking what difference does it make whether the equipment is plugged back into the same socket-outlet?

Since when was unplugging something something that needed to be done by someone skilled?
It never has done.
What has happened is the Regulations since 2008 have required RCD protection for socket-outlets used by anyone who is not skilled or instructed.

I’m not surprised at your lack of knowledge in regards to this matter, as it’s pretty consistent with previous posts you’ve made.

The exception for skilled and instructed persons using socket-outlets has been removed.
Again the exception for specifically labelled or otherwise suitably identified socket-outlets has been removed.
Both of the exceptions were removed in 2015 amendment 3 of the 17th edition.

Producing a Risk Assessment that relies on outdated and non-compliant exceptions, would not to my mind be acceptable.

What I’m asking what difference does it make whether the equipment is plugged back into the same socket-outlet?
Don’t forget this is not a domestic environment.. everyone involved in that environment will be competent in their own right and in those duties bestowed upon them..
The importance of plugging the stationary equipment back into their respective sockets is down to the fact that there is a discrepancy of + 16anps to 32 amps per phase when selecting between different sockets...
One socket may be fused at 20 amps whilst another may be fuses at 32amps so, why do you think it is important not to get them mixed up?

It never has done.
What has happened is the Regulations since 2008 have required RCD protection for socket-outlets used by anyone who is not skilled or instructed.

I’m not surprised at your lack of knowledge in regards to this matter, as it’s pretty consistent with previous posts you’ve made.

What a pity you intend on being rude.

Don’t forget this is not a domestic environment.. everyone involved in that environment will be competent in their own right and in those duties bestowed upon them..
The importance of plugging the stationary equipment back into their respective sockets is down to the fact that there is a discrepancy of + 16anps to 32 amps per phase when selecting between different sockets...
One socket may be fused at 20 amps whilst another may be fuses at 32amps so, why do you think it is important not to get them mixed up?
Doesn't matter that it’s not domestic.
The exceptions have been removed.

Ah, so now we know that the various sockets will not be fused according to the maximum rating of the sockets but to the various ratings of the individual items of equipment.

Again what difference would it make as to whether RCD protection is provided?

Reply to 415v 3 phase sockets and rcd protection. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net