Discuss 415v electricity box outside of my flat in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

In your opinion, why they have been built inside? The building is 4 floors, 2 flats on each floor: is the 415v shared between those two flats, or how does it should work?

In your opinion, why they have been built inside? The building is 4 floors, 2 flats on each floor: is the 415v shared between those two flats, or how does it should work?

Do not worry about the scary 415v message.
There is in fact only 230v there and yes it is likely to supply the different flats in the building.

To explain it as simply as possible
There are 3 different power supplies in that box.
Supply 1 is 230v
Supply 2 is 230v
Supply 3 is 230v
Houses and flats will only have one of them provided to there property.

A large industrial customer would have all 3 supplied to them.
It’s beyond the scope of this discussion to explain how a customer with all 3 can get the magic 415 from them.

A detailed explanation can be found here.

Last edited:
Thanks James for your reply. On each floor there is one box like that and 4 flats, so I assume there are 4 230 supplies in it, can be?

There are only 3 240v supplies. How they are divided over 4 flats is anyones guess. One of the supples must feed 2 flats.

I used to live on a small estate of blocks of 4 flats. I should image that the phases are split equally over the whole estate.

Reply to 415v electricity box outside of my flat in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock