Discuss 45, Am I too old to be Electrician?! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

stom

-
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
After having long conversation with my wife, I decided to take on C&G 2365 level 2 evening course, really want to be an electrician, already have HND in electrical engineering back in 2011, but due to family reason gave up to higher education.
But I am very dedicated and with strong work ethic, at moment working full time at supermarket, even work 39 hrs so, but still can't get enough income to support my family.
I went to attend local college open even last month, had a chat with tutors, they told me I've already had some electrical knowledge regarding my HND electrical engineering at my previous college, I was suggested to take level 2 course, before level 3, to gain some practical experience, as part time student, which is going to be one year to finish the course and then go on to level 3.
My question is as a 45 person this year, with HND electrical engineering, if I take on this course as this age , if it is too late to be an electrician? due to no any connection with this sector, really worried about job prospective when I spent my saving on these courses really.
I read some threads, mentioned ECS card( electrical labouror), checked ECS website, its so frustrted really, so many electrican mate jobs out there, asking for your ECS card to apply, but ECS card application website says from 1st October 2017 proof of employment by an Electrical Contractor or other Electrotechnical employer needed for application, really don't know how to get a job and get this ECS card, its dilemma, I can pass the exam easily, but how to provide proof of employment???
Could someone this forum give me some suggestion and guide,please?
Really appreciated.

Electrical Labourer - https://www.ecscard.org.uk/card-types/electrotechnical/labourer-ecs-card

Hi stom
At 51 I’m just starting out too, so I’d say no it’s never too late. I share your frustration re the ECS card thing. I don’t think an employer is likely to hire you (or me) until you prove some competence first so, yes, it is a risk but if you believe in yourself, go for it.

I’ve just completed the 2365 Level 2. I did it as a distance learning course, only attending the training centre for exams and assessments, which was cheaper than the college route. It also meant I could study and practice at my own pace and ultimately finish the course quicker.

With your HND background you will find the exams are a doddle and, if you have any DIY skills the practical side is quite easy to pick up.
My tips are:
Buy the text book for the course.
Check out “GSH Electrical” on YouTube for some really good videos of the practical skills you will need to develop.
I appreciate money is tight but invest in a few of the materials and practice at home. Even build a replica of the boards that you’ll see in the videos if you can afford it.
Once you’ve done that bit actually approach some employers and sell yourself.
You’ll need the level 3 afterwards, followed by a year or two completing an NVQ so it won’t be quick but it’s certainly achievable.
Good luck

Hi Handyman On your level 2 distance course you mention you turn up for assessments and exams. What about the practical elements of the level 2 like fitting conduit, SWA, cable tray, steel trunking etc how does that work on the distance learning?

I bailed out of the IT industry and jumped into sparkying for a living at age 50. Its a tough way to earn a living though, especially as you get older.
At age 65 you might not relish climbing ladders, working in cold and wet unfinished buildings in January and crawling round in roof spaces with your lungs full of loft insulation.

Hi Handyman On your level 2 distance course you mention you turn up for assessments and exams. What about the practical elements of the level 2 like fitting conduit, SWA, cable tray, steel trunking etc how does that work on the distance learning?
I bought some SWA and glands and accessory boxes to practice with and on one of my exam days I had 3 hours instruction and practice on tray/trunking work and took more material home to play with. Remedial metalwork at school many years ago was useful too.
I appreciate there is far more to learn with those types of installation, which is where an Electrical Improver role would come in handy.
I also invested in conduit kit, which I know is not an option for some but there were other practice days available if I felt I needed them on the home study option.

I was 48 when I went for my course at college. I managed to get a job with a spark when he needed an extra hand for a big nursery job he was starting so this saw me through a ton of experience and testing.
At some point you will need to bite the bullet and go full time with a spark or an agency but once you get that job then others will come because of your gained experience. There will be dry money spells but prepare by reigning stuff in - I got rid of Sky, changed my phone payment, etc etc and worked out the lowest I could live on.
It’s difficult and for some, because of family commitments, it may be impossible (though nothing is impossible). It’s do-able if you have support from family members and you really think it through.
It’s not for everyone but I love it, I try not to let customers know this in case they think I don’t want paying.
Get yourself a CSCS card which is health and safety, go speak to the job centre as they can help you out with a course that’s free, look at the leaflets.
The ECS you can try and apply for without an employer or try your college tutor as a ref.
Keep on, decide whether you really can do it. Read books, get the theory in prep for your start.
All the best

I bought some SWA and glands and accessory boxes to practice with and on one of my exam days I had 3 hours instruction and practice on tray/trunking work and took more material home to play with. Remedial metalwork at school many years ago was useful too.
I appreciate there is far more to learn with those types of installation, which is where an Electrical Improver role would come in handy.
I also invested in conduit kit, which I know is not an option for some but there were other practice days available if I felt I needed them on the home study option.

You of at least used your own initiative which is good, college on a part time basis will always be the best route but I appreciate for some this is not possible

I wouldn't keep mentioning the HND, to be honest it means nothing when your on the tools, experience is what you need, I would drop the HND talk and apply to be an Electricians mate for 2-3 years to pick up some on site knowlege, then you will be on the right track and can brag about the HND at a later date.

I wouldn't keep mentioning the HND, to be honest it means nothing when your on the tools, experience is what you need, I would drop the HND talk and apply to be an Electricians mate for 2-3 years to pick up some on site knowlege, then you will be on the right track and can brag about the HND at a later date.
Thanks mate, that's useful feedback to me.
Frankly speaking, I am kind of DIY man, I do all sorts of repairing work at home, clean sink pipe, replace wall sockets, AVI cabling, even repair iPhone and iPad and my old car's broken window mechanism etc., good computer skills too, thanks to my college studying really.
I am still looking for maintenance jobs, remember last month was interviewed by Mira shower, personally, I feel my interview went quit well, even was given positive feedback, in practical stage, I am the only candidate to finish replicated shower parts changing, I don't know why I didn't get it. Disappointed.
Thats's why I decided to go for course gain some practical skills like you mentioned.

I bailed out of the IT industry and jumped into sparkying for a living at age 50. Its a tough way to earn a living though, especially as you get older.
At age 65 you might not relish climbing ladders, working in cold and wet unfinished buildings in January and crawling round in roof spaces with your lungs full of loft insulation.
Interesting, as I was/am in IT and was thinking the same but I was a time served spark in the past who then got in to IT, thinking about other avenues now.

I was a Telephone apprentice when I left school, so had the practical skills. So the transition to sparking wasn’t too tricky.
Retired last year, but still doing the odd job.

Despite not needing it I applied online for my ECS (JIB) Electrical labourers card and got it 10 days later. The only recent qualification I had was 17th edition and I was unemployed with no offer of work.
You can do 17th or hold off for the 18th edition short course for around £300.
When applying on-line do ring the very helpful ECS staff because their website isn't the easiest I've used. They'll advise you on what to do and how to apply for the ECS card.

Having said all that, the ECS labourers card is not guaranteed to get you where you want to go, but it may offer you a ticket to accompany an experienced Spark. Good luck.

Despite not needing it I applied online for my ECS (JIB) Electrical labourers card and got it 10 days later. The only recent qualification I had was 17th edition and I was unemployed with no offer of work.
You can do 17th or hold off for the 18th edition short course for around £300.
When applying on-line do ring the very helpful ECS staff because their website isn't the easiest I've used. They'll advise you on what to do and how to apply for the ECS card.

Having said all that, the ECS labourers card is not guaranteed to get you where you want to go, but it may offer you a ticket to accompany an experienced Spark. Good luck.

I promise you I am not having a go at you, thats the truth.

However the 17th or 18th is not really a competance qualification, my wife could sit the exam and pass it, it irritates me people like yourself take this exam with a pat testing exam and then are brain washed you are an Electrician, it is wrong, and not fair on you, the only way to become an electrician is at least 2-3 years at college and 2-3 years as a mate or trainee working on a daily basis with an Electrician, I am sorry if that hurts, but it is the truth.

I was a Telephone apprentice when I left school, so had the practical skills. So the transition to sparking wasn’t too tricky.
Retired last year, but still doing the odd job.

haha, fair play that made me chuckle.

Hi stom
At 51 I’m just starting out too, so I’d say no it’s never too late. I share your frustration re the ECS card thing. I don’t think an employer is likely to hire you (or me) until you prove some competence first so, yes, it is a risk but if you believe in yourself, go for it.

I’ve just completed the 2365 Level 2. I did it as a distance learning course, only attending the training centre for exams and assessments, which was cheaper than the college route. It also meant I could study and practice at my own pace and ultimately finish the course quicker.

With your HND background you will find the exams are a doddle and, if you have any DIY skills the practical side is quite easy to pick up.
My tips are:
Buy the text book for the course.
Check out “GSH Electrical” on YouTube for some really good videos of the practical skills you will need to develop.
I appreciate money is tight but invest in a few of the materials and practice at home. Even build a replica of the boards that you’ll see in the videos if you can afford it.
Once you’ve done that bit actually approach some employers and sell yourself.
You’ll need the level 3 afterwards, followed by a year or two completing an NVQ so it won’t be quick but it’s certainly achievable.
Good luck
Hi Handymann.

I hope you are fine.

How is it going with distance learning?

You mentioned that you did your level 2 via distance learning and attended the centre for exams. I would like to know if you used any training centre which was offered distance learning and they booked exam for you at the centre or you did privately?

I have tried to google for the exam centres in London I could book myself but unsuccessful. It seems I need to register with training centre which I can not afford at the moment. Money is to tight and I would like to do level 2 exam then 3

I would appreciate your insight.

Reply to 45, Am I too old to be Electrician?! in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net