Discuss 4kw & FIT rates in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
If an installation is 4kw on the dot, will it get a 21p FIT rate or does it do down to 16.8p? We are having a discussion about it in the office and have a difference of opinion - can any one settle it please?

o- including 4KWp = 21p, over 4kwp (ie4.0001kw) = 16.8p.
So does the winner or loser make the tea??

The answer is to have a look at the legislation. Sorry, do not have a link to hand, but the answer you will find is that the levels are defined as less than or equal to 4kW/10kW etc.

Last edited:
Most DNO limit to 3.68kw... 4kw is a thing of the past...If your DNO excepts 4kw then its 21p...
Sorry babba, but the DNO has nothing to do with the FIT, the 3.68kw as you mention is regarding G83 ( install then inform) over 3.68 is (normally) G59 apply for DNO approval, then install.

Thanks but i didn't realise the DNO had anything to do with the FIT? If it were a 4Kw installation with a 4000TL under a G59 which had been pre agreed with the DNO or the same installation under a G83 if the DNO accepts it then it should be the same FIT shouldn't it?

My recently registered 4kW system will earn 43.3p/kWh should the government lose their appeal at the Supreme Court or 21p/kWh if they win their appeal.

Sorry babba, but the DNO has nothing to do with the FIT, the 3.68kw as you mention is regarding G83 ( install then inform) over 3.68 is (normally) G59 apply for DNO approval, then install.

Thanks Earthstore, we replied at the same time. Do you know whether the different energy companies treat 4kW differently or would they all accept the installation as a 21p FIT?

Ye but cant bothered with that my DNO take 4kw under G83 and I believe it can take up to six weeks under G59 hence my 3.68kw.

Who has six weeks to wait I want them installed fast....

Ye but cant bothered with that my DNO take 4kw under G83 and I believe it can take up to six weeks under G59 hence my 3.68kw.

Who has six weeks to wait I want them installed fast....

My system is 4kWp (16 x 250kWp) yet still goes through under G83 due to the G83 compliant inverter as do many others.

My system is 4kWp (16 x 250kWp) yet still goes through under G83 due to the G83 compliant inverter as do many others.
I know they may/may not except it but I was not willing to ask as I dont like hassle and If you install and they say no what do you do..???... pay what they ask or tell the customer to foot the bill..

babba, I'm afraid you don't seem to understand the situation here. you are getting mixed up between G83/G59 and FiT banding.
A 4kw system with a 3.6kw inverter does not need DNO consent and will receive a FIT at the higher rate of either 21p or 43p depending on the outcome of the appeal. There is absolutely no need to wait for DNO approval, just get on and install it (providing there are no other systems in the immediate area in which case approval may be needed for any size system).
If you install a 4kW system with a 4kW inverter then you will need DNO approval, which is why most people fit 3.6kW inverters for 4kW systems.
There are also (arguably) benefits of fitting the smaller inverter in terms of efficiency.

Last edited by a moderator:
(providing there are no other systems in the immediate area in which case approval may be needed for any size system).

I don't think this would be an issue unless you were doing the others in the same street as well. You shouldn't be affected by someone else's prior work.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Moggy I touched on it about 6 months ago and we did use 3.6outd so just stuck to 3.68 systems with some DNOs and 4kw with others. I suppose it comes down to inverter choice. As far as im aware this only became an issue with dno about 9ish months ago
but I am open to suggestions on that on that one. I spend my time under a dno who will wave 4kw with sma 4000tl all day long no problem. I also believe it comes down to 16a black magic stuff.

Reply to 4kw & FIT rates in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock