Discuss 4mm/2.5mm T&E in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

Hi all, looking to potentially wire some new sockets in a 4mm radial rather than 2.5mm RFC. Been my preference for ages, find it less hassle to install, and 25A is plenty.

That being said, something I've always been a bit tetchy over is the potential worst case touch voltage given the "normal" 1.5mm CPC. I'd feel much happier, and prepared to spend the bit extra to get 4mm/2.5mm T&E to bring that figure down a bit. I'm sure this used to be readily available years ago from the usual wholesalers, but these days I can't see it anywhere.

Am I going mad, or is this stuff impossible to find these days?

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts to registered members

Pretty Mouth

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all, looking to potentially wire some new sockets in a 4mm radial rather than 2.5mm RFC. Been my preference for ages, find it less hassle to install, and 25A is plenty.

That being said, something I've always been a bit tetchy over is the potential worst case touch voltage given the "normal" 1.5mm CPC. I'd feel much happier, and prepared to spend the bit extra to get 4mm/2.5mm T&E to bring that figure down a bit. I'm sure this used to be readily available years ago from the usual wholesalers, but these days I can't see it anywhere.

Am I going mad, or is this stuff impossible to find these days?
I have never come across 4mm/2.5mm. Even when I have come across very old 4mm (eg copperclad from early 70's), it had a 1.5mm CPC.

Reaction score
Maybe runs through insulation.
not in a kitchen. overload would be a problem.
Both of these in reality. Needs to run through insulation, and it's heading to a (light use) workshop where 20A could cause load issues. Could just run a 2.5mm RFC, that's just... well, not my first preference shall we say, without getting into the ring vs. radial bloodshed!

I'd be happy to send you a few rolls, postage might be a bit much though. :)
Thanks for the offer but yeah, wouldn't be too keen to pay the postage on that lot! I'm curious as to where you get that from though? Think I got some from TLC last time, but that was a long time ago. Might have even been in old colours.

I'll probably just use the standard 4/1.5 stuff, was just wondering if there was an obvious place I was missing.

ElectroChem

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for the offer but yeah, wouldn't be too keen to pay the postage on that lot! I'm curious as to where you get that from though?
Anywhere really, the standard in Oz is for 2.5-6mm2 twin and earth to have a 2.5mm2 earth conductor. Probably related to the fact that we use C-curve MCBs as our standard breakers, quite uncommon to see a B32 here.

Reaction score
Anywhere really, the standard in Oz is for 2.5-6mm2 twin and earth to have a 2.5mm2 earth conductor. Probably related to the fact that we use C-curve MCBs as our standard breakers, quite uncommon to see a B32 here.
Ah, interesting, the things you learn. Had no idea C curve was standard there!
What about buying from Ireland, I believe they now have full size insulated earths in their T&E.
I'm not sure I'd even go to those lengths really, though my understanding is that 4mm is basically unheard of over there anyway.

Reply to 4mm/2.5mm T&E in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.