Discuss 4mm & 6mm one circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
needed a 10.0mm for a air source heat pump at a property, one of the lads run a 6mm in for it, then plumber said he needed a 10.mm so he ran a 4mm in aswell,lol,

is this acceptable and whats the best way to terminate if i can use both, a bit miffed

cheers
grand

needed a 10.0mm for a air source heat pump at a property, one of the lads run a 6mm in for it, then plumber said he needed a 10.mm so he ran a 4mm in aswell,lol,

is this acceptable and whats the best way to terminate if i can use both, a bit miffed

cheers
grand
Why did he not run in a 10mm instead of the 4mm? no you can't use both for the reason Westward gave so wetpants will have to change it.

No you can't just connect a 6 and 4 and parallel to make 10.

What you should do first is check that the water clown has correctly calculated the cable size because you may find that they've got it right.

think if wet pants had got it right with 6mm he's not have gone to the trouble of trying to bodge it up with the 4mm.

sorry for lack of info, i havent been to the job yet, thought we was stuffed, will update when i speak to plumber, only a 13 mtr run and apparently there is a 8kw immersion or something or a 8kw air source , to me the 6.0mm should be fine but ill check

thanks for the replys
Grand

cheers
grand
10mm sounds big for a domestic ASHP, the 16kws (8.75kw max input) i used to fit were supplied via a 6mm.

VD may be an issue depending on run and istallation method but would need to be over 30m (off the top of my head).

Has the plumber looked at the output rating and calculated (dont snigger) based on this rather than the input.

The info you require will be on the spec plate on the machine.
[automerge]1567882122[/automerge]
sorry for lack of info, i havent been to the job yet, thought we was stuffed, will update when i speak to plumber, only a 13 mtr run and apparently there is a 8kw immersion or something or a 8kw air source , to me the 6.0mm should be fine but ill check

thanks for the replys
Grand
ASHPs are usually sold on their output so an 8kW will deliver 8kW and use approx 4-5. If an 8kw ASHP then the 4mm will be ample based on 13m.

Last edited:

Reply to 4mm & 6mm one circuit in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock