Discuss 4mm or 6mm cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sammw123

DIY
Reaction score
Hi

I am having a job done on my wiring. I have had one electrician say that it is a 4mm cable that needs replacing to a 6mm cable and another electrician say it's a 6mm cable that doesnt need replacing can anyone help as I am now confused who to do the job ?

Thanks

What's with 4 or6 cable please elaborate.
I'm having my fuse board replaced I currently have a 8.5 kw shower that is connected to the pull cord with 6mm cable however the cable in question is the cable that goes from the pull cord back to the fuse box. The pull cord burnt out which has resulted in us having the electrics looked at which has thrown up this question

I assume this is a follow on from this thread.

Think 6 & 4mm 6242y cables have the same many strands. Google dimensions of 6242y cable.

Edit; by the way, one of your electricians is not competent.

Last edited:
Your house was built in 1991 so both cables should be metric. 6.0 cable will have a 2.5 cpc while 4.0 will be 1.5, the 1.5 will be much more pliable than the 2.5.

I suggest you go to an Electrical wholesalers and get an offcut of 4mm and 6mm to compare to what you have, or ask the one that thinks it's already 6mm to show you some 4mm to compare.

I suggest you go to an Electrical wholesalers and get an offcut of 4mm and 6mm to compare to what you have, or ask the one that thinks it's already 6mm to show you some 4mm to compare.
I know it's hard to tell on a picture but to me there is a size difference but the electrician has made me think I'm being silly and overthinking it ??‍♀️

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200419-163028_Snapchat.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_20200419-163037_Snapchat.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Screenshot_20200419-163043_Snapchat.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 50
Do the bare earths feels the same size by bending them. Is the earth in the blue and brown cable stranded or one solid core, hard to see.

Doubt if any wholesaler is gonna ruin a new drum to do that. The electrician(s) could or should have the odd spare drum, to prove to the OP?

I though you said it was only the neutral which had burned in the other thread? The live and neutral are clearly crispy fried there.

It's probably 6mm, but nobody will be able to confirm without actually seeing it.

Is the new bit definately 6mm? If so you should be able to see a difference between the CPC (earth) wires more clearly than the strands if the old is 4mm.
[automerge]1587310745[/automerge]
Could be a 6.0 and a 10.0 hard to see the cpc of the new cable.
You might be right as it looks as if the new CPC is stranded

Reply to 4mm or 6mm cable in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net